In 2021 what were your favourite plugins / tools / bits of code?

TW is very interesting for being evolutionarily…

I’m interested in what struck you this last year that stands out as useful???

That might be a plugin or a whole tool (even an edition) or simply a bit of code / macro.

I think it useful to look back and account.

Best wishes
TT

4 Likes

Being able to drag a handle to adjust the size of story river vs sidebar is sheer bliss. This was a great year for TW features, but that is the one that sticks out in my mind. Would have been handy to have that around when I was working on Stroll. (TiddlySeq Theme — Logseq-like TiddlyWiki Template)

8 Likes

Hi Joshua, Hi Dave,
Nice idea to have this thread. We should do this regularly because at the speed of the current development, it is so easy to miss something. Some of these gems even are not listed in the indexes like dynalist and Links yet:

• Typewriter is a wysiwyg-Editor … you have to scroll down to view demo to see what it is capable of!
  • Saq’s streams-plugin, FastFreddy’s mod stream-fusion and stobot’s bullets are very promising experiments exploring non-linear ways of writing
  • Projectify — Manage projects in TiddlyWiki. provides a great theme.
  • echarts seems to be a very versatile visualisation library. (Its templates are very similar to vis.js wich has been adapted to TW some time ago -it is the base of Tiddlymap It would be interesting to see whether there could be some compatibility.)
    Best Wishes Jan
4 Likes

Hi JanJo

I added echarts and Typewriter to the toolmap (Dynalist). I also added today’s Popmap, the Sidebar resizer I mentioned in my comment, and the TW demo site for Google fonts.

I have been pretty lax about the toolmap because of the official site for links which should rightfully replace it. But there is something handy about doing a search and clicking the external link right from the search results, so when requested I will happily add links to the toolmap. Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Agreed Dave, I struggle using “links” effectively and still use your toolmap. Thanks for keeping this up!

3 Likes

Hallo Dave,
thanks for that, I confess that I also use your dynalist toolmap as primary reference, so far the overview is far better.
I guess we would need a drill-down-system with refining categories for the TIddlywiki.com-Links list, at the moment you have to know what you search to find it.

1 Like

I am really having trouble selecting my flavorists, this year there are too many to choose between, however this thread is itself food for thought.

I have revisited Typewriter, and was questioning its place in TiddlyWiki as Saq himself was;

• does such a visual editor providing support for very limited formatting offer any value?
  • Is the conversion from wiki to HTML and back to wikitext, reliable enough for this subset of formatting options?

However I realised this could be a very good supplement for WYSIWYG solutions for Non-tiddlywiki aware users.

In some ways it is actually good that Wikitext, macros and widget do not operate in text/typewriter tiddlers. Its a type of user interface “sandbox” but such tiddlers can be freely transcluded into larger objects. I admit I have not pushed this plugin too hard yet. But it is already very promising.

Driven by the type field you could also limit editing to such tiddlers in a user mode.

1 Like

https://tiddlywiki.com/#EventCatcherWidget

1 Like

Dave, I didn’t know about that one! Brilliantly designed to make zero difference until you need it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In 2021 we had some great new tools/plugin/release

• the Filter Run Prefix is a huge improvement
  • the cascade filter operator and Cascades in $:/ControlPanel > Info > Advanced > Cascades
  • the $let widget

We had also some great plugins: file upload, uglify, sections, fishing, sticky-todo, …

For me 2021 was the year to reencounter TW and its community again after a decade long hiatus (I used TW intensively from 2008 to 2010 and stopped as my research explorations led me elsewhere, and I came back to TW at the of 2020).

In my most used list I would put:

• Nicolas Petton Projectify: as is my main template to create my own wikis and the community ones. We have even our own “seed” with curated plugins and custom macros called ProjectifyMod. It’s a shame it is now archived and the main site is not working anymore. It makes me wonder for the evolution of such projects and how we care the digital commons and their makers/caregivers.

• Shiraz 2.4.5 — create stylish contents in Tiddlywiki for several of our documentation call outs and styling.

• @telmiger Plugins, particularly Harvey Balls, and his mobile themes. I hope to see more in the direction of a functional style CSS inspired by Tachyons, TaildwindCSS, Assembler CSS and alike in the future of TW, as I think that it helps CSS newbies/ignorants like myself to customize TW without the heavy baggage of CSS.

• The TW 5.2.x series in general, particularly because of the possibility to define easily forms.

• The Echart plugins recently discussed here looks pretty promising.

• This very web forum, as it allows and easier entry point that developer issues in GH and provides a better user experience that Google Groups and it’s really community owned (in sharp contrast with the previous two). I think that is pretty aligned with the TW philosophy of more autonomous technology.

• TWCrossLinks and Relink as they made pretty visible the power of backlinks and renaming.

• @DaveGifford Several wikis, plugins and tutorials, as they’re pretty inspiring about what good learning material looks like in wiki form.

My list gets bigger and, as I list more people and their tools, I confirm that any list is an omission of what is left out of it. So I will end my list here, just saying that I’m pretty thankful of finding this community again.

4 Likes

Yeah, really tough to tell, one would really need a collected list to look at the alternatives. But there were quite a few core changes introduced this year that make a big difference. Looking on tw .com I note versions 5.1.22/23+5.2.0/1 were released during 2021. Two recent changes, of a more “ah, finally!” nature is the possibility to now editwidget a field in the current tiddler, and to freely name fields.

But I’m sure what is most valuable are things I don’t understand, under the hood. The “Cascade mechanism” is probably way more valuable than I can tell. And the improvements to the ListWidget… given how ubiquitous that widget is, then any improvement should have a big impact.

And just so many new and useful filter ops, including the filter prefixes ( :...)!

But one unofficial plugin that does stand out to me is Flibbles Relink plugin… (if that indeed was in 2021?)? Very useful (and should probably be in standard distro).

I note many other great creations but I just don’t use them so I’m not qualified to vote on them.

In all, I leave 2021 with a sense of humbleness. Wow… you guys!

1 Like

Relink was available at least since Stroll came out, since I used it in Stroll (Spring 2020). But I think there was a big update to it in 2021 that made it even more useful. Good stuff.

I think, it is good to talk to Nico! Last December I had some communications with him and I know he is very busy, but his plugins/theme: Projectify and Notebook are among the top list for the whole TW5 life!

1 Like

As tiddlywiki is about lists, I wonder if including in a list, a “symbolic item”, “missing items” to indicate there are more items, would be an interesting approach. Or open and closed lists etc… where it is the list that has properties, that describe it, its status, scope etc…

One could imagine indicating the list is a “todo” list, thus each listed item becomes a todo, rather than the tiddler being the todo.

1 Like

I did. He said to me that he is not using TW anymore and shared his motives (but I think that if he want to share them publicly he will do it in community spaces). This raises concerns on the sustainability of “middleware” between core TW and variants build on customizations, but I have talked about that in The problem with "custom solutions" - #26 by Offray.