I Made a WebGL Plugin

6 Likes

All the cool folks :sunglasses: surely know what this is, but perhaps I’m not the only one who did not…

(Yes, everyone can separately go look up what it is, if they don’t already know. But it sure would be nice not to send people looking. What is WebGL, and why is it exciting?)

The teaser from my web search is:

WebGL enables web content to use an API based on OpenGL ES 2.0 to perform 2D and 3D rendering in an HTML canvas in browsers that support it without the use of plug-ins .

More here: WebGL: 2D and 3D graphics for the web - Web APIs | MDN

I also think — beyond a photo of a screen — having more of a glimpse of what this means in practice (what it empowers TiddlyWikiFolks to do that we couldn’t do before) would be sweet.

At any rate, congrats on bringing your idea into reality!

1 Like

Cool, you can try Why Gatha is a Game Changer? or Best TW Dev Framework! Easy WYSIWYG plugin developing, support TypeScript
And upload it to https://tw-cpl.netlify.app/ later.

WebGL make it fast to draw things, but writing code to use WebGL will be tedious. So the API is important here. If it enable plugin developers to depend on your plugin and draw things with list widget and some premitives, it will be powerful.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind

It badly underestimated how long it would take to clean up and add a few more features but here it is-

I tried to take ya’lls advice and make it easy. OBJ files can be imported as Tiddlers and used in WebGL scene by referencing them as child tags.

I would still like to complete textures, animation, lighting, and maybe text before walking away from this for a while.

I’d appreciate any feedback you have. Thank you!

2 Likes