How to resave TW file? Lost connection to network drive

I use TW 5.2.2 via Brave browser. I have a TW file on a network drive so I can use it from my laptop and 2 different remote desktops. Each remote desktop has a mapping to this common network drive. This network drive mapping is actually to a remote machine I access via Windows Remote Desktop.

The drive just went down and I have changes to the TW file I would like to save. Is there a way to save this file to my c: drive temporarily until the network drive is back up?

They are possibly rebooting that machine to do Windows updates. And sometimes there are complications with updates.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: On a related note, if the drive the TW is normally saved on isn’t available, maybe TW can offer us a new place to save it temporarily.

For me, the “save” for a single-file wiki offers me an option of where to save it. Does this not happen for you?

• Open the AdvancedSearch tiddler and select the Filter tab
  • select the More Options icon
  • select "Tiddlers modified since the wiki was loaded
  • It should give you a list of your modified tiddlers

• Select the Export Button
  • Save as JSON

That may do the trick. You can import those tiddler into your wiki once it works again.

There is also an Emergency Save workflow described at: "Emergency Save" - How to Save a Wiki if the UI is Broken

-mario

For me, the “save” for a single-file wiki offers me an option of where to save it. Does this not happen for you?

No. I just click the red circle with a check in it to save it where it was normally loaded. I think it’s because under Settings, Saving, HTML Native File System Saver I have “Enable server” checked.

There is also a button on that TW screen that says “Reset file save location”. I clicked that and it didn’t do anything.

I have a button i save as a bookmarklet to do this exact thing. Save the whole wiki when the default save mechanism fails. I will share it with your once at my desktop.

I assume its a single file wiki?

In many cases if you can keep your browser open you can just keep using it until the save method becomes available again.

• you can also install and rely on the local storage plugin so you can close your browser and return but if two different devices store changes they cant save when they can, one may overwrite the others changes.

Updated

Download wiki with Changes.json (3.6 KB)

Open this tiddler to see how to create an emergency download with a bookmarklet, of the full wiki and current changes if your normal save mechanism is failing.

1 Like

I have a tiddler called Emergency Export which references https://tiddlywiki.com/static/Emergency%20Tiddler%20Export.html and contains instructions from that page and elsewhere. I have of course never used it.

Ok I lost the VPN connection again in the middle of saving my single TW HTML file. This disconnects me from the network drive I have my TW HTML file on. I have 2 files on my network drive: work2022.html (has 0 bytes) and work2022.html.crswap.

Clicking the save button in TW gives me an error: “Encountered error while saving to file system: [Previous page source does not match the current text].”

Can I use my work2022.html.crswap file and copy it to backup.html file to see if it has most of what I need? EDIT: Yes! That worked. I only lost my last edit.

I do make backups (in a zip file) but only about every 3-4 days, not every day. I make massive changes every day as I take notes from tutorials I’m doing.

Is it still in the memory of your browser, ie you still have a session but can’t save?

If so in another wiki, install this make a bookmarklet, install on the wiki and use the download button in the page controls How to resave TW file? Lost connection to network drive - #5 by TW_Tones