How to make each day’s Journal tiddler as the default tiddler for that particular day

Is it possible to make each day’s Journal tiddler as the default tiddler for that particular day

1 Like

Hi,

• Go to the $:/ControlPanel : Info : Basics tab
  • Search for DefaultTiddlers field
    • Enter this text [<now "DDth MMM YYYY">]
  • Make sure that the date format in the DefaultTiddlers field is the same as for Title of new journal tiddlers

hope that helps

2 Likes

Is it possible to get Journal tag for the default tiddlers automatically. Or will i have to do it manually

Yes, but not with marios tip.

You can use the StartupActions but I don’t have time right now for a full solution, sorry.

2 Likes

If the tiddler doesn’t exist, just click the “new journal” button in the right sidebar and it will be created with the tag. – Just 1 click away :wink:

Is it possible to add some condition to it.
If Journal tiddler is already created show it as default tiddler. if not already created , show something else which we specify as default tiddler

[<now "DDth MMM YYYY">is[tiddler]else[HelloThere]]
1 Like

This will do the trick for me. Thank you

Is it possible to get two or more other tiddlers as default tiddlers if the Journal tiddler is not already created.

Yes, but it uses a completely different mechanism, which looks like magic and can cause trouble, if your users don’t know about it.

• Create a tiddler named: $:/config/EmptyStoryMessage
  • Create a tiddler named: Dashboard … with some content
  • $:/config/EmptyStoryMessage should contain this text:
    • {{[[Dashboard]]||$:/core/ui/ViewTemplate}}

You can use it like so:

• Add this content: {{{ [[GettingStarted]] [[Working with TiddlyWiki]] ||$:/core/ui/ViewTemplate }}}
  • See the difference in the number of opening {{{ and }}} closing braces!

Which will open those 2 tiddlers as a story river empty message … So everytime you close all open tiddlers, they will be shown.

BUT BUT BUT … here comes the trouble

Since the core default ViewTemplate is used to show them, they have tiddler toolbar buttons. grafik → They work, except the close [X] button. Since there is no story, nothing can be closed. — What you see is the story emptyMessage.

And believe me, I use it, and it does trick me from time to time. …

So there is room for improvement and feedback in a new thread is very welcome.

have fun!
Mario

This approach will work if the default tiddlers you want to be displayed in the absence of the Journal tiddler share a tag (or field):

[<now "DDth MMM YYYY">is[tiddler]] :else[tag[MyDefaultTiddlers]]

1 Like

Yes, that’s a much simpler solution.

Thanks for the suggestion. I modified it slightly to use the field instead of tag

[<now "DDth MMM YYYY">is[tiddler]] :else[default-tiddler[yes]]

Where should I add this content to ?

As text to the $:/config/EmptyStoryMessage tiddler

@pmario This is indeed a nice addition to have. I can now use empty story message to easily access MyDefaultTiddlers mentioned in the code given below [<now "DDth MMM YYYY">is[tiddler]] :else[tag[MyDefaultTiddlers]] if the Journal tiddler is already created.