How to export static tiddlers who's internal links will open the master wiki

As a result of this discussion Tiddlywiki Indexer: Create Subject/Author Indexes - #56 by TW_Tones I have finally solved a long standing problem for me, exporting static tiddlers that load the parent wiki if a link is clicked.

Try it?

• To test download and drop Export Static tiddlers link to parent.json
  • Open the “Filter Operators” tiddler and export using the new exporter.
  • Save this static tiddler anywhere, then open it in your browser
  • It looks like a standard static tiddler however any link will open in the current tab the actual tiddlywiki.com tiddler/page.

Why?

• If you have a single file wiki that is published on the internet it will support SEO Search engine optimisation if you have static tiddlers that can be indexed by search engines, but an interactive wiki is far superior. So this exporter exports each static tiddler such that all links open the parent wiki.

Note:

• If your main wiki is large, make sure it includes a splash screen to advise the user of what is happening. It may be noticeable going from loading a single file tiddler to a full wiki.

How?

• In the above example the exporter sets the html base tag (in the html head tag) to the value found in $:/info/url/full - you could change this if needed.

What is next? - contributions welcome.

• I would like to develop a way to export all tiddlers using this exporter but first but pushing them all into a zip file, you can then transfer this to your host and unzip them all into the same folder as the wiki file.

Advanced futures - contributions welcome.

• With the appropriate rights able to save the resulting tiddlers directly to the host. A feature we can use for RSS as well.
  • Manage this so only those changed since the last export are exported.
3 Likes

Very interesting & and I think highly relevant to easing the publishing of one’s work.

I was particularly taken by the comment about creating a static LANDING PAGE that can be more SEO optimal.

I gonna look at what I’m currently doing and comment more later.

Best, TT

2 Likes

Than you for sharing! Very intresting.
I would recommend to move this under Tips and Tricks.

Right. But also, maybe, ‘Developer’??? I can see the conceptions @TW_Tones laid-out might be fruitful to pursue further. I’m thinking about how to help him ask for precise help achieve his clever vision.

TT

I think that a very concise way of depicting an issue publishers face. Kudos.

Rather than have to do complicated things in node.js I would be very interesting to know …

1. On static export of one Tiddler as a Landing Page for a site linking to a dynamic TW …

… whether …

2. … that static Landing Page could auto-include SEO <meta> directives in it’s header???

Is that possible from standard TW?

Query, TT

@TW_Tones. This may have been done already? But I can’t find any reference to it.

I would certainly say from a standard TW it is a very good idea. And effectively, supplementary, makes TW more clearly a potential lightweight “CMS” (commercially too??) web-publishing system.

TT

1 Like

FYI, partly inspired by your post, I took a closer look at https://tiddlywiki.com/static … and find it both very useful and somewhat faulty (e.g. numerous links that go nowhere).

But my comments on that I should take elsewhere I think?

UPDATE: I wrote about the issue here:

TT

1 Like

Tt,

Your questions here can be answered simply as yes. We can generate any kind of html page with any content. All we need is a template.

Tiddlywiki is capable of generating html pages or whole interlinked websites.

A landing page solution would be a good one to start with, it could be campaign based or a simulation of the wiki.

Perhaps a collaboration?

What would you want to see on a langing page?