GettingStarted tiddler on tiddlywiki.com not showing any results?

On tiddlywiki.com, I tried to look at the list of savers, but when I check a box, nothing shows up:

Is this a local problem I’m having, or is the tiddler broken somehow? It does appear to do the same on multiple browsers.

2 Likes

I see this problem as well.

The transcluded tiddler called Saving hasn’t changed since the 5.3.4 archive version (which works fine), so the problem is with some other change in the wiki — some tiddler(s) or code that Saving is drawing upon.

Problem is that the tiddler $:/_tw5.com-card-template was removed. Also, there’s a referenced style from $:/_tw5.com-styles — which was also removed.

@jeremyruston this probably pertains to the recent refactoring of the HelloThere tiddler.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve restored $:/_tw5.com-card-template.

The card related styles have been moved from $:/_tw5.com-styles into their own tiddler $:/cards/styles preparatory to moving the card templates into a plugin or perhaps into the core.

1 Like

Oh, I really like the new look. It feels much cleaner!

GettingStarted style quick fixes:

.tc-saving-sidebar-category { margin-bottom:10px; }
.tc-saving-sidebar-category-title { margin-bottom:5px; font-weight:bold; }
.tc-saving-sidebar-category-item { margin-left:10px; white-space:nowrap; }

-e

1 Like

The newly refactored tiddlers could be better placed within the “TableOfContents” TOC.

I suggest tagging “Quick Start” with “TableOfContents” and placing it following “HelloThere”.

Then, tag “GettingStarted”, “Getting Started Video”, “Find Out More”, “TiddlyWiki on the Web”, and “Testimonials and Reviews” with “Quick Start”.

-e

Thank you – there’s a rationale in the PR description. I am intending to spend some time on improving GettingStarted as well.

Thanks @EricShulman I have implemented both your suggestions.

I have to admit to being amused at seeing the following in the PR:

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I understand that’s it’s automated and useful, but it is funny!

I do have a suggestion on top of this: The Open tab is not a great beginner experience (“Wait, I clicked on the X. There’s no Undo. How do I get it back? Is it gone for good? If they can’t get their website right, how could I trust their tool?”) I really think Contents would be better (and also moved to first place in the tabs). If these five new tiddlers were all tagged Welcome and not TableOfContents, and Welcome was the first entry in the TOC, and was opened by default, newcomers would have a much less disoriented (“more oriented”?) experience.

2 Likes

The newly updated “Quick Start” has a tag field (with a value of “TableOfContents”) instead of a tags field. As a result, it is not showing up in the TOC.

“Quick Start” displays cards using <$list filter="[tag[Quick Start]]">, so all of the newly refactored tiddlers are being displayed as cards (rather than just the four cards previously shown). In addition, because “Quick Start” has a list field (with the four cards), those cards show up as the first four items in the “Quick Start” branch of the TOC.

I suggest renaming the list field to cards, and using <$list filter={{!!cards}}> to show them.

-e

Thanks @EricShulman fixed in Fix QuickStart cards · TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWiki5@b2c3e2b · GitHub by replacing the filter with a literal list of the four tiddlers.

Two more tweaks:

In “Quick Start”, set the list field to:

GettingStarted [[Getting Started Video]] [[Find Out More]] [[TiddlyWiki on the Web]] [[Testimonials and Reviews]]

so those tiddlers appear at the top of the “Quick Start” branch of the TOC, in the specified order.

Also, perhaps change the tag on the four “Quick Start: xxx” tiddlers from “Quick Start” to “Getting Started” so they are moved into the “Getting Started” subbranch.

-e

Thanks @EricShulman fixed in Further Quick Start tweaks · TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWiki5@04185b4 · GitHub

The “Quick Start: xxx” card tiddlers are now tagged with “Getting Started”… but that tiddler doesn’t exist (note the space in the tiddler title!)

I think that perhaps those card tiddlers don’t even need to be tagged at all, since clicking on each card is already linked to a tiddler (“TiddlyHost”, “TiddlyDesktop”, “GettingStarted”, and “Xememex”) that provides good information about each of those options.

-e

I was going to post this right away, but life intervened:

You can try it with this:

AddingWelcome.json (5.2 KB)

2 Likes

I quite like this arrangement. It groups the initial StoryRiver tiddlers under a single “Welcome” heading which is also the first branch of the “Contents” TOC which is now more prominently displayed as the default tab.

One minor adjustment: the “Quick Start” tiddler should be tagged with “Welcome” and should immediately follow “HelloThere” in the TOC.

-e

I don’t know how I missed Quick Start. I swear I had it at one point. Here it is included.

Again, you can try it with this:

AddingWelcome.json (6.4 KB)

I don’t know of any way, though, to ensure that the Welcome menu is open by default, at least for a new visitor. The relevant state tiddler doesn’t survive export/import. Moreover, I have no idea if its trailing sequence of digits is the result of the qualify macro and might not survive even minor changes. I attempted here to include a startup action to create that state tiddler; I haven’t really tried to debug why it fails. Is there some mechanism for that?

Thanks @Scott_Sauyet I’ve pushed your changes in HelloThere tweaks suggested by @CrossEye · TiddlyWiki/TiddlyWiki5@0a8fcfd · GitHub

3 Likes