Do we need to Guide the use of categories here?

Please see my comment in this thread

1 Like

I won’t respond on the other thread, Tony, since this has little to do with the Fishing plugin.

I respectfully disagree…

Except for your mention of tagging – a thread might be tagged plugin-fishing merely because it mentions the fishing plugin, not necessarily because it’s about the fishing plugin.

I don’t believe this (or similar ideas) will pollute the cat-namespace. Far from it, it will enhance it. Hundreds of plugin categories? Bring it on! Searching on GG for a plugin was a terrible hit and miss affair. Categorizing them here, properly, will be a boon to the developers and a natural form of curation that benefits users, old and new.

TW is old, there are tons of plugins, leaving them sprinkled over any forum is bad form (carried over from GG).

Plus, consider this:

A developer could embed his plugin category into the help docs for the plugin which appear when listed in the TW control panel. That’s better done with a single category, not with arbitrary threads – too messy.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

oh, one more thing – if you go to the home page (latest) and hit g c you’ll get all the cats listed. My point? Promote the keyboard shortcuts judiciously. They avoid too much UI-click-dancing which generally leads to bewilderment (for new users, anyway).

@CodaCoder I like “respectful disagreement’s”.

I totally agree with this;

Categorizing them here, properly , will be a boon to the developers and a natural form of curation that benefits users, old and new.

All I am questioning here is if the “Discourse Category” system is the best way.

Something I do not understand is the Fishing Category is not appearing on the home page (fortunately).

However when I select the hamburger menu I see this;

Snag_411fa56

As you can see get the (2 more) orange arrow, clicking this opens a new page.

I also wonder if we had many more plugins like “Fishing” if this quick link to categories will become saturated and somewhat unusable.

I would be keen to have major macros and editions categories as well, so worry what would happen if we needed hundreds of such categories.

I have no doubt there is an answer and if you have one please share. I am just keeping my curation sensibility active.

I see at a glance that your link says;

Discourse has the ability to embed the comments from a topic

So arguably could we just not have a topic dedicated to each plugin? This would allow a definite location to “goto” for a given plugin, and other discussions could be linked back to the plugin reference topic.

I am not sure a new Discourse category should be used for a specific plugin. This thread should be posted under the Plugin Category ONLY for this purpose. We would not pin a thread either.

If this was to become a rule we would “pollute the category naming space” and it would be hard for people to find the main categories they need every day, especially from the hamburger dropdown menu.

There may however be an option to use a plugin-Fishing tag so information can be collated to this plugin from anywhere in discourse.

@boris could possibly advise us.

The author asked for a category so I gave him one, just like @saqimtiaz had one for #plugins:file-uploads

The feature that this enables is that plugin authors can moderate their own categories. It’s like a mini mailing list that we can offer as a community resource so that developers don’t need to spend time managing other comms channels.

On the other hand, Saq and others ALSO wanted to have plain postings in the plugin category:

I think both work. You can tag posts with your plugin if you don’t want / need a category.

And yes, I think a category per Edition if someone wanted one makes a lot of sense. Maybe we rename the top level category to Plugins and Editions.

The nice thing with Discourse is that you can follow, mute, or something in between per category and per tag — without having to click around a lot.

Sub-Categories do show on the home page, albeit a bit small:

You can see File Uploads and Fishing, and you can also see the Fishing announce post as a topic in Plugins.

Yep! I often do this with apps and put a discourse thread of recent comments and feedback right in the app.

Effectively — it means developers can carry the community with them.

1 Like

Which is key. Key in the sense that it becomes the key to unlock the info all in one place.

Which I do (not here yet, not enough stuff to warrant it).

Well, yes, of course… my question then is, why move from GG?
:confused:

But back to the OP topic…

A sticky post at the top of all cats targeting new users (tagged new-users)

NEW USERS READ THIS FIRST

which details enough info to get them started… yes, that would be a good thing, and, generally, the only GUIDE that’s needed.

1 Like

I think a key piece of information, I and I expect others, were not aware of, is what we could call subcatgories as Boris implied;

These do not become listed on the home page, as I was concerned about and it appears they will not crowd out the “categories” in the hamburger dropdown.

This would ideally be stated in a global or a specific category with a “NEW USERS READ THIS FIRST” message as @CodaCoder said.

I presume If I want to create such category I just use that naming standard category:subcategory.
I will look it up myself!

If Handled well I hope discussions generate curated category:subcategory created content.

I think a key piece of information, I and I expect others, were not aware of, is what we could call subcatgories as Boris implied;

These do not become listed on the home page, as I was concerned about and it appears they will not crowd out the “categories” in the hamburger dropdown.

My take on this.

Actually editions may be more at home in the new Showcase category. Within that perhaps we start tagging (or other marking) edition, showcase or demo as these are common manifestations of live tiddlywikis.

A showcase often demonstrates an implementation and is not necessarily an edition

An edition should by definition permit downloading as a whole of wiki template

Demos are often related to a plugin or macro solution and provides a live demonstration of the solution. “A try before you buy/install”.

There is a set of core editions that perhaps get a little neglected and could benefit from a presence here along with a link to its repository/GitHub? It would allow discussions about them, See here Editions and Community Editions

I think that’s the most important part to have a new “sub-category” … A sub-category has a setting to allow a group / team of users to be set to “sub-category moderators”.

So the owner of the group is allowed to “add” and “invite” users to be part of that group. Then those users are granted “moderator” rights for the sub-category.

The advantage here is, that those users can support the owner of the category, independent to their status in the main forum.

2 Likes

My god. That reads like an AGENDA. :crazy_face:

I DO think the WIDER objectives of the EXECUTIVE who are NOW shaping this group should be made more explicit???

The way you guys chat is a million miles away from a mailing list already. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But it is: Experiments. …

Discourse has a lot more possibilities to engage the community, than GG offered.

If moderators and admins don’t know, how to create, configure and use them, how should we make them available for the broader audience.

LOL! Actually I’m on NO way against the general drift, partly because YOU, @pmario, are involved. I trust YOU.

IF it were a bunch of people I did not know I would be NERVOUS it was a PUTSCH.

Best wishes
TT

1 Like