Display the caption field instead of the tiddler title in story line

Hi,

is there a setting available to change the view in the story line?
If possible, I want to display the caption of the tiddler (if available) also in the story line.
Only if I start to edit the tiddler the tiddler title should be visible.

Thx
Stefan

This must work for you i guess

1 Like

I can make a plugin for this, so new user can get it in one click, instead of configue many tiddlers.

A quick setup of plugin after dinner.

https://tiddly-gittly.github.io/title-caption/

Please feedback your experience about its UI, I can add some config for cusomization.

Install via CPL TW-CPL — ć€ȘćŸźæ’ä»¶èšćˆäž­ćżƒ

Can you explain what all of that is for? I feel as though this is generally a simple problem, involving one ViewTemplateTitleFilter pointing to one simple display tiddler. But your plugin has 25-30 separate tiddlers, I know many are translation-related, but what about the others?

My implementation just looks like this:

title: $:/_/my/config/ViewTemplateTitleFilters/caption
tags: $:/tags/ViewTemplateTitleFilter
list-before: $:/config/ViewTemplateTitleFilters/default

[<currentTiddler>has[caption]then[$:/_/my/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title/caption]]
title: $:/_/my/core/ui/ViewTemplate/title/caption

<h2 class="tc-title">{{!!caption}}</h2>

CaptionForTitle.json (643 Bytes)

1 Like

You only give view template, but miss the edit template for caption. Try edit the example in my demo site.

I also try to hide the caption field on fields list when cascade match, but didn’t find a way. (Should based on cascade)

Note that there are also logic for What's the standard way to not writing Title .

Ok, interesting. I always intentionally keep the title as the primary metadata edit field, since it remains the primary identifier to the tiddler. Is there a way to edit the the actual title in your demo outside something like the following?:

<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-rename-tiddler" from="Foo" to="Bar" />

I see the reason for what you have, but I would suggest to the OP that unless the additional features are needed, that simple might be better. It would be straightforward to extend this when necessary. I sometimes add a “_skip_caption” field if for some reason a particular tiddler should actually show the title. But many variants are possible.

Hi @linonetwo,

thank you for your solution but I want to have availability to edit the tiddler title in edit mode.
Your solution is much more I need and I am able to explain my users.

Thank you a lot
Stefan

Hi @Scott_Sauyet,

exactly what I am looking for.
I was not aware of this possibility.

Thank you
Stefan

It can, but yes, some tutorial may be required.

ć›Ÿç‰‡

Seems you don’t use much advanced layout plugins. Nowadays many new layout will manage their database using id-title tiddlers, like Notion database.

I’m already using this in layouts like Calendar, Health record, Quick note.

You are right. I am not using layout plugins. I like to be very lean and close to the origin “Wikipedia”.

I don’t know if you’re suggesting that TiddlyWiki was heavily inspired by Wikipedia.

If so, I think that’s incorrect. In History of TiddlyWiki, we find that while it was heavily influenced by Ward Cunningham’s original wiki, Wikipedia – although reasonably well established by then – did not have a role.

Hi @Scott_Sauyet,

If I wrote:

I like to be very lean and close to the origin “Wikipedia”.

It was only in regards to the layout, not the functions and possibilities the tool offers. :wink:

Stefan