Auto Complete plugin 1.0.15 - Complete tiddlers, fields and your dreams

Oh man, this is great! Encapsulate all snippets as Auto Complete :wink: This saves users from many scrolls up and down and or opening the editor menus and search.!

I am thinking we can also have a trigger for inserting images instead of clicking the image button on the editor toolbar…

The demo does not work, I assume you need to attach one oe two tiddler tagged with $:/snippet. If you don’t mind, please revise the original post!

Example in the original post is updated.

1 Like

This is very useful for new users. If these snippets were all included in the empty/basic edition it would help the onboarding process significantly.

Without understanding how this works under the hood, would it be possible to create table of content style or hierarchical pop-ups similar to how context menus can be created in this thread.

Ex:

Another feature I would find useful is to have different background colours for different snippets.

1 Like

You know, one feature I was thinkin about was adding a context to the trigger – a filter that receives the type of the input in a few variables, <tag>, <classes> maybe something else. This could potentially be used without a trigger defined so you could use this to detect that you’re in Advanced Search and make it such that if you manually trigger auto complete even with nothing input it would open the relevant trigger.

Unfortunately hierarchical menus aren’t really possible with how things are written right now and I think it goes beyond the scope of this plugin.

It’s time to add a Roadmap/Future plans tiddler to my showcase and write down all those great ideas!

2 Likes

Is this plugin part of any library?

If not, can you please consider publishing in a library @Maurycy ?

A library makes the update process a bit easier, as you can receive notifications about available updates inside the TW.

2 Likes

Not yet! Busy doing something else:

• Revamping the way the whole Showcase page looks
  • Adding a roadmap page
  • Updating older plugins to have settings in one place in Control Panel + add support for palette colors wherever required
  • Figure out something about plugin dependencies to see if I can have a base plugin containing some common things (like styles and JS functions)
  • Prepare the library
6 Likes

@Maurycy

I’m wondering if I’ve found a slight bug with AutoComplete.

If I manually complete the link with the trigger [[. The resulting link shows a llink to a missing tiddler even though I’ve copied and pasted the title of the tiddler that exists. I don’t see any extra characters when I do this. The same holds true when I paste the title, highlight and then use the link button in the TW editor.

I do have a custom filter for the trigger which the title I’m pasting would not be part of (that’s why I’m pasting it). However, I wouldn’t expect the normal link behavior to change. Manually typing the square brackets without using AutoComplete should still create valid links.

Is this just me?

Oh no!

I am not 100% sure I followed your instructions correctly, because I couldn’t replicate the bug, but here is what I did:

• Opened the plugin showcase
  • Copied the name of a tiddler, say Auto Complete
  • Created a new tiddler and in its body I started typing:
    ** [[ – the auto complete window opened
    ** ctrl+v – this pasted Auto Complete, the auto complete window updated as expected
    ** Enter – This finished the insertion adding the closing ]] brackets
  • I saved the tiddler
  • The link is valid, clickable and working as intended

But, I did it for a filter that includes the tiddler. So let’s do the same with a shadow tiddler:

• Opened the plugin showcase
  • Used advanced search to search for $:/
  • Copied the name of the first tiddler I got, say $:/Acknowledgements
  • Created a new tiddler and in its body I started typing:
    ** [[ – The auto complete window opened
    ** ctrl+v – This pasted $:/Acknowledgements and the auto complete window correctly updated to show No results
    ** Enter – This cancelled the insertion (because no result was available) so the closing brackets weren’t added
    ** ]] – To close the link
  • I saved the tiddler
  • The link is valid, clickable and working as intended

I am not sure I fully understand this part:

Are you saying you that if you use TW’s Link button for this tiddler name it also has this problem?

Probably the best way for me to investigate would be to create a small replication wiki:

• Open the plugin showcase
  • Remove all the Auto Complete triggers that are already defined there
  • Copy over your own trigger there
  • Drag the tiddler you’re having a problem with there to import it (or just export it as json first and import then)
  • Try to replicate it in this environment – if you manage to, send me the HTML over (feel free to send it to my email skellus@gmail.com if you’d rather not share the filter with the wide world)
    • Make sure to point out any differences/mistakes in my reproduction steps!

Otherwise the next best thing is to just anonymize your wiki as much as you deem necessary and mail it to me as-is so I can work on the live organism :slight_smile:.

Lovely showcase! Nice boxes!

1 Like

I did some experimenting just now and I am now thinking the problem is on my end.

The issue is isolated to a few specific tiddlers which are generated by some of my own macros. I think there’s an issue with these macros which I need to look into.

I’m now thinking there’s no issue on your end.

@Maurycy - definitely not an issue on your end. It turned out to be a space vs. no-break space issue with a couple of macros that I was using. So annoying.

1.0.15 is now out:

• Code Mirror integration: No longer throws an exception when triggering completion in non-codemirror input when codemirror editor is opened
  • Code Mirror integration: Completion opens at the correct position even when window is scrolled
  • Code Mirror integration: No longer throws an exception when selecting an option with mouse in non-codemirror input when codemirror editor is opened

Likely the next update will be either 1.1.0 (and include new features) or 2.0.0 (and include backwards-incompatible changes that may require some small tweaks to make old completions work). Preferably the former.
Feel free to check out the roadmap to know what ideas I am considering and feel free to hit me up with suggestions.

6 Likes

I’m using this successfully after installing yesterday, and it’s a great time-saver. Kudos, and many thanks!

I’ve had no issues except one as I tried to extend it today to work with Widgets. It successfully loads the full scrollable list of widgets, but doesn’t filter them as I type. I’m guessing that this is possible, and that the problems has to do with my configuration. Is there something wrong with this?

auto-trigger-textarea: 1
caption: Widgets
created: 20221222152528635
display-filter: [<currentTiddler>]
filter: [all[tiddlers+shadows]prefix[$:/core/modules/widgets/]] +[removeprefix[$:/core/modules/widgets/]] +[removesuffix[.js]]
modified: 20221222154409874
tags: $:/tags/EC/AutoComplete/Trigger
template: <$$option$ $caret$ >
title: $:/EvidentlyCube/Trigger/3
trigger: <?
type: text/vnd.tiddlywiki

Finds names of built-in widgets.  (How to extend to custom ones, if they're not in the same namespace?  A problem for later.  Also won't work if tiddler names don't match widget name; don't know if that's a real concern.)

I also tried to move the adjustments out of the filter to the display-filter and transform-filter with no luck.

display-filter: [<currentTiddler>] +[removeprefix[$:/core/modules/widgets/]] +[removesuffix[.js]]
filter: [all[tiddlers+shadows]prefix[$:/core/modules/widgets/]]
transform-filter: [<currentTiddler>] +[removeprefix[$:/core/modules/widgets/]] +[removesuffix[.js]]

This is minor concern. I rarely need to do much type-ahead for widgets; I was mostly curious as to how I’d write a filter for them, and I pat myself on the back for figuring it out. :slight_smile:

But now I’m wondering why it’s not working and whether I can adjust it to work as expected.

Looks like your filter gas mo additional filtering! You should add another +[search:title<query>] at the end of the filter and I think it should work, unless thr variable name is different but I can’t check right now.

That was it exactly! Thank you for your help.

1 Like

And now I went back to see that you already had this as an example in your showcase. I missed the entire list of examples. Now I have to go see about the goodies…

Thanks again!

Wonderful! The core image also a good example to be added to triggers!

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, can you elaborate on the bugs you’ve encountered in TW5-extendedit? The only bug I seem to encounter with TW5-extendedit is it sometimes just doesn’t work and I’m not sure why.

It’s covered in the “Why should you switch” section in the first post and randomly not working is exactly the problem that bothered me. And it bothered me a lot!