Announcing the release of TiddlyWiki v5.3.2

I’m delighted to announce the release of TiddlyWiki v5.3.2 at:

https://tiddlywiki.com/

Some of the major features of the new release are:

• New conditional shortcut syntax for more concise and readable conditional logic
  • Explicit templates for the list widget to make it easier to have complex wikitext in the emptyMessage
  • Joiners for the list widget allowing wikitext to be specified that is inserted in between each entry
  • Extended all the relevant core widgets to allow arbitrary data-* attributes and style.* attributes to be applied to the generated DOM nodes. This is useful for passing data to the <$eventcatcher> widget
  • jsonset operator for assigning values within JSON objects
  • Extended JSON operators to allow negative indexes into arrays to be counted from the end of the array
  • Added new barcode reader to the QR Code plugin
  • Enhanced Evernote importer
  • Updated editor preview button to automatically focus the editor
  • Fixed bug with Node.js synchronisation that could lead to disappearing tiddlers
  • Many other bug fixes

You can upgrade your existing single file wikis here:

https://tiddlywiki.com/upgrade.html

For Node.js users, the new version is available on npm at https://www.npmjs.com/package/tiddlywiki

As usual, please exercise caution when upgrading, and take care to keep backup copies of everything important.

My thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, from code contributions to feedback. We’re phenomenally lucky to have so many people willing to help, and it is much appreciated. Congratulations also to @catter-fly for their winning design for the new release banner (see below).

Any questions or comments are welcome here, or via GitHub.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

New Release Banner

14 Likes

@jeremyruston … It seems the TW Archive v5.3.2 tiddler and auto-build mechanism seems to have failed.

After the update, the spacing between the editor toolbar buttons has changed (increased). I don’t know if it’s common or it happened just to me.

I didn’t dig deep but I checked the tiddlers that I believe are responsible for the editor toolbar buttons ($:/core/ui/EditTemplate/body/editor & co.), but found no difference. Does anyone know why this happens?

I can confirm this on tw-com, there seem to be some space characters between the buttons, that’s how it looks like after selecting the toolbar in v5.3.2:

That’s strange, but if https://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FEditTemplate%2Fbody%2Ftoolbar%2Fbutton gets a \whitespace trim at the beginning of the tiddler it seems to work again.

But that tiddler hasn’t been changed for 2 years :confused:

Aside: In 5.3.1 I noticed a few places where suddenly I needed to add \whitespace notrim where it wasn’t needed before. Still haven’t found out why. Is there something “new” introduced in the 5.3.x universe that could causing this?

Fix for this: [5.3.2pre] Codemirror editor style clash?

.tc-tiddler-frame .tc-tiddler-editor .tc-edit-texteditor,
.tc-tiddler-frame .tc-tiddler-editor .tc-tiddler-preview-preview {
	overflow: unset;
}
1 Like

I did create a PR: fix edit toolbar button whitespace by pmario · Pull Request #7888 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

Do you remember the “few places” - It would be interesting to know. I’m not really sure, where the problem comes from

Why is my updated wiki 0.4 mb bigger, whereas the size of the empty has gone up only a little?
Has anyone else made an observation like this?

Sorry, I’d forgotten about this…

Not sure how you want me to present this – I guess show you the UI with and without notrim

With \whitespace notrim:

Focus on the two buttons, Move them all, and Current Report. Also, the text in red.

Without \whitespace notrim:

If it helps, here’s the code that generates the two buttons:

\procedure mover.toolbar()
  <$set name=count filter=<<chapsecs-filter-count>>>
   <$if not value={{{ [<count>compare:number:gt<limit>then[error]] }}} match=error>
    <span class="mover-btn"><$button class="tc-tag-label skew" actions=<<move-all-actions>>>Move them all</$button></span>
   </$if>
  </$set>
  <span class="mover-btn"><$button class="tc-tag-label skew" actions=<<show-report>>>Current Report</$button></span>
 \end mover.toolbar

Yes, I WILL promote those <$if> widgets to the shortcut syntax, but looking there for the cause would be a red-herring. If they were the cause, I’d have noticed this five or six years ago.

And these are my tiddler-wide rules:

\rules except dash
\whitespace notrim

I’ve created many tiddlers filled with procs since the release of 5.3.1 but this is the only one causing trouble with whitespace. It’s like the TW native trimming is trimming all whitespace and leaving nothing behind.

Code rejigged to 5.3.2 standards…

\procedure mover.toolbar()
  <$set name=count filter=<<chapsecs-filter-count>>>
   <% if [<count>!compare:number:gt<limit>] %>
    <span class="mover-btn"><$button class="tc-tag-label skew" actions=<<move-all-actions>>>Move them all</$button></span>
   <% endif %>
  </$set>
  <span class="mover-btn"><$button class="tc-tag-label skew" actions=<<show-report>>>Current Report</$button></span>
 \end mover.toolbar

No change to the outcome (which I already suspected).

Hi @CodaCoder would you be able to try this PR via the preview and see if the problem is resolved? Many thanks.

@jeremyruston

Didn’t help…

Thanks @CodaCoder then I think we are back at the position where we need a minimal test case illustrating the problem that we can replicate.

Of course. To be clear:

1. In this regard, I don’t think there is a bug in 5.3.x. I mentioned this as an aside, only (actually, the opposite problem to the one being discussed and the one addressed by your preview).

2. I have plenty of working tiddlers that “prove” that this one tiddler is at issue, not the core.