Admin: I am not an "Aficionado" nor want to be seen as one

FYI, I’m totally out-of-kilter with the weird ways Discourse gives “awards”.
They make little sense.

I don’t want to be labelled “Aficionado” because I am not one. To define an “Aficionado” because I visited a few times makes no sense.

An “Aficionado” is an expert. I am not that.

Please downgrade me

TT

1 Like

I think it’s because “Had nothing better to do for the last quarter” was deemed a little too long and wordy.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Aficionado in Spanish means ‘fan’

2 Likes

TBH, it is because Discourse uses arbitrary rules on “awards”.

They make NO sense. They are witchcraft.

For instance: He massaged a Black Cat three times: so Award – Catianadio

It is all rubbish.

Again…

Please downgrade me

TT

1 Like
  • ventilador,
  • fan,
  • admirador,
  • abanico,
  • aficionado,
  • entusiasta

Yes?

Spanish & English are equally vocabulary vast.

Regarding the OP, me labelled “Aficionado” is not anything I a fan of or an enthusiast for. It is inaccurate.

Admin…

Please downgrade me

TT

You’re definitely an enthusiast – of TW if not Discourse. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Right. I love TW. I quite like Discourse too; except for Discource’s WEIRD “award system” that is totally arbitrary, incoherent & vague.

Why award me Aficionado when I am not one in any
meaningful sense?

Don’t worry! Your secret is safe with us!

So, where are you seeing these badges? Unless I spelunk deep into the profile settings, I never see the badges. So, as they say, mostly harmless.

Re changing them, I’m reminded of the Wizard of Oz where the Wizard, as he’s being heaved into the sky, admits “I don’t know how it works!

2 Likes

You are always good with this kind of thing! :slight_smile:

I got some message saying I’d been promoted to it. I doubt anyone else would ever see it unless I advertised it, which I wouldn’t.

Right! Some folk invented this hierarchy of largely meaningless labels based on some lunch they had to set the labels? It is mostly meaningless rubbish. A trap. I guess they never thought someone like me might question it’s accuracy. TBH, i think it is largely redundant; it certainly is misleading and inaccurate.

I DO see a special category on Discourse for superpowers like you and @pmario and @boris etc … That makes sense because you do more. Thumbs up.

Best
TT

I removed it.

Your public profile is hidden anyway, so nobody will probably see it, except yourself and the admins.

Thanks for doing that!
J, x

1 Like

I imagine Mario is now getting a message, “Congratulations, you’ve just received your first ‘Removed a Badge’ Badge!”

1 Like

Yea, and I’m proud that I now know how to make one and grant it to myself :wink: … I even made it my “title” (for some time :slight_smile: ) …

1 Like

from “Treasure of the Sierra Madre”:

There is a post at the main Discourse group about badges: What are Badges? - faq - Discourse Meta

It seems they also can be created using SQL queries, if you know how to do so. … I don’t :slightly_frowning_face:

… But it would be interesting to see, what would be cool badges that can be extracted from the “events” infos we have.

1 Like

In contrast to TiddlyTweeter, I note that I do not hold an Aficionado badge!? The honourable Aficionado badge was the reason why I joined this place. I DEMAND an Aficionado badge! NOW!!! WHERE IS MY FRICKIN AFICIONADO BADGE??? If you don’t give it to me I will cause much harm here. I will post faulty solutions with missing brackets and stuff. And I will call it TinkleWiki. And I will insist on rounded corners to annoy @pmario
AFICIONADO BADGE NOW - or else!!!

1 Like

At Bulls and Bullfighting - definition of Bulls and Bullfighting by The Free Dictionary it says:

aficionado
– an avid and informed devotee of bullflghting; now used of devotees of any sport, activity, or art.

I did slightly change the wording for the Badge “long text” to:

This badge is granted for visiting 100 consecutive days, which shows your commitment to this group. We highly appreciate your interest!

If you know better wording, that would make it worth to keep the Badge, let me know.

1 Like

Dear @twMat, I had assumed you would have got one on joining Discourse, given your current & previous scope and passion. That you were left in the cold indicates these “badges” are dodgy. I don’t deserve “Aficionado”, you surely do.

TT

The normal language meaning of “aficionado” is not 100 days! It is a description of a serious, informed, enthusiast. It blurs with “expertise”.

In TW you can’t be a sustained aficionado of it without having some considerable skill with it.

Personally I think the Discourse badge descriptions are largely meaningless because their metrics make no sense. That said, if you can capture @twMat’s behaviour in a metric it could be a guideline to needed application for “aficionado”? :slight_smile:

How do you make it your title? On mine, the title dropdown only offers “Leader” and “Regular”.

Apparently there is a component and/or a plugin that could be added to Discourse that would allow badges to be displayed next to the name. Not saying we should do this, just saying.

I used to be an aficionado of SQL. So maybe if there was ever a demand …