Admin: I am not an "Aficionado" nor want to be seen as one

How long do you think it should take?

BTW, you have 18 other badges!

Right. Meaning you both appreciated it at a skilled level and could program in it?

Yes?

Achhh. Let’s not go there today!

1 Like

The question makes no sense to me. 100 days hanging out doesn’t make you an aficionado. You might well be one on day one. OR not be one on day 300.

I have no idea if you could ever reliably operationalise the term.

1 Like

At least one of those.

So sorry you are asfixiado by aficionado!

1 Like

Enough with the badges already!

But just for TT…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Right. Point being if we were an SQL group you’d prove your provenance collectively and I’d upvote you. I think that is my point. But Discourse awards/badges are mechanically applied. There seems to be no peer-user interaction.

Discourse Badging is some secret process of Private Blessings from the Discourse Pope. Basically it is weird. :slight_smile:

Just an opinion, TT

The rules built in are a bit weird for us. But it’s possible to imagine other rules. For instance, you can assign various icons to posts you like (or conceivably, dislike). There might be a lifesaver icon. If someone got awarded a “lifesaver” icon 100 times, then it’s reasonable that they’re an aficionado.

Sounds more like they are badgering

Right! That makes great sense to me. Even if someone disagreed they would have a public basis to do so from.

Getting a bit philosophical, as is my want, I don’t believe in private languages. Explicit public languages function as language best. The whole badge thing on Discourse seems weirdly private.

Just a comment, TT

Lol! Very true too. English (and I think Spanish?) has such a delightful facility for meaningful puns … “We were badgered with badges during the long protracted inception into Discourse.”

1 Like

footnote …

You have to get the Badge assigned and the Badge has to have the “flag: use as title” to be set. Then you should be able to activate the Badge as a title.

The existing Badges have been taken from the default setting. …

Three TW specific Badges have been added:

• Plugin Creator
  • TW Anniversary
  • Wikipedia Wizard

All of them have to be manually assigned. … That’s the reason, why eg: Plugin Creator is only assigned to some of the users that actually have created and promoted their plugins here.

It would definitely be interesting to get that one automated.

Apart from your bad spelling :slight_smile: (Anniversary / Wizard) I think you guys are brilliant!

I think the point on badges that makes most sense is when they are visible and open to a collective.

Looking at the Discourse “badge system”, to me a lot of them don’t make sense.

I do think it is worth asking which of the default badges are (1) useful; (2) which should be auto-exposed publicly? Get rid of the rest.

Just naive thoughts
TT

I lòve this, great for bringing this up and demanding justice!

But more seriously, I was reading through the badges and the one that left me wondering whether it was meant as encouragement or punishment was the ‘out of love’ when you hand out more than 50 likes in a day…

I do enjoy the many badges out here, they give even the newest non-tech newbie a feeling of being welcome,

Yours truly
(& truly loving tiddlywiki even though I have not even overcome the obstacle of the saving method…)

2 Likes

:rofl:
I snort-laughed so loud the cats are now sitting far away from me eying me with distrust…
I lost it at the missing brackets and stuff - thank you, you earned yourself a true twMat affecionado! (There i go, have myself a badge :medal_sports:)