A new way to read ebooks in TiddlyWIki

I started a new thread to discuss some design sketches that show my original plans for Cecily in TiddlyWiki 5:

But to answer your question more directly, one thing that has changed since I did the original Cecily prototype in 2008 is that there have been a string of commercial and open source products that embody that central idea of an infinite 2D canvas onto which one can slide resizable panels, with pan-and-zoom as the primary navigation metaphor.

Most famously, there was Presi. Now one of the most interesting examples that I know of is Muse, an iPad app:

So, one good thing is that I have had the opportunity to play around with some very polished and sophisticated implementations of the basic idea. Iā€™ve found that the original metaphor that I was attracted to is actually not sufficient to make a functional user interface. Thereā€™s too much scrolling and squinting, and the UI affordances donā€™t help with obvious use cases (ā€œarrange all the tiddlers tagged foobar in a squareā€). Zoomable user interfaces have always been primarily concerned with navigation.

Itā€™s still an area I think about a lot, but havenā€™t got to the point where implementation work has risen to the top of my stack.

7 Likes

Hi @jeremyruston the possibility to organize and present in a visual/spacial way like in muse or prezi? would be fantastic! Another great opensource-tool/library which could help to achieve this could be

https://impress.js.org

Thank you for replying. Excited to see how all these will develop in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for impress.js link!

I did a deep dive into Prezi a few years back, and worked it hard for a couple conferences, until I got frustrated with some limitations (such as: only one style for each text block, so no academic Author, Title citations, plus how long I would spend tweaking its effects to get them just right and not make viewers feel seasickā€¦), and with the opacity of getting Prezi to respond to customers on such issues ā€“ even paying ones.

Iā€™ll check this out!

Hello @Springer,
If you like impress.js, you should have a look at

http://strut.io/dist/index.html

which is a free online editor for it, developed as open source on GitHub

1 Like

Impress is a very low level library. There is no ā€œofflineā€ editor library at the moment. So itā€™s very hard to create something useful. ā€¦ But the impress.js library itself is cool, if you know how to configure it.

The design looks very creative.
Visual needs are always a low priority, so there is no rush to change and implement.