A multi-column Layout / Storyview

I have a few problems

1. When I click on the budget manager, a modal should appear. But it doesn’t appear if the tiddler is in full screen mode. Only after returning from fullscreen mode the modal is seen.

2. the vertical page control buttons of whitespace theme are not seen on hover if the
    tiddler is in fullscreen mode

Can anything be done regarding these?

That should now be fixed

Try adding this to a stylesheet tiddler:

.vertical-controls {
z-index: 10000;
}

Thank you @BurningTreeC .
Both works now. I learned a new thing in CSS regarding z-index today.
Two small issues that I noticed in full screen mode of a tiddler are

1. If we drag and drop any tiddler into a wiki in multicolumn mode with a tiddler in full screen state, the import tiddler can be seen only if we manually come out of full screen mode. Is there there any way to automatically come out of the full screen mode if such an event (like import) happens.

2. If I click on a link within a tiddler in full screen mode, the newly opened linked tiddler can be seen only if the tiddler comes out of full screen mode. Is there there any way to automatically come out of the full screen mode if we click open a link within a tiddler in full screen mode.

A similar implemenation was done in krystal horizontal plug in by cdruan - see these github disscusions - 1 and 2. But those were javascript based workaround i guess.

If I add this $:/plugins/felixhayashi/hotzone plug in to multicolumn (for use with Echarts), I get this error. I havent noticed this error in my other wikis

Hi @arunnbabu81 ,

could you please make me a screenshot of the error message in the console (press F12 > Console)?

Thank you,
Simon

I had a look at the hotzone plug-in and I’ve seen that it isn’t compatible with my implementation of the story-rivers. It looks for a story-river with the class “tc-story-river” and there is none in the multi-column layout.

Maybe I can make it compatible if that doesn’t mean too much refactoring.
What you could do is edit the tiddler $:/plugins/felixhayashi/hotzone/config.js and replace “tc-story-river” with “btc-river-1” - that could work and it could enable the first column to work with the echarts plugin

1 Like

After doing this, the error message has stopped coming. Thank you.

Do you still need this?

Is this doable?

That is now solved

Thanks for the idea, I’ve implemented this, too. Thank you!

Best wishes,
Simon

2 Likes

Thank you @BurningTreeC Multicolumn is definetly super functional now. I have played with most of its features except the top and bottom bars. Thanks for making such an amazing plug in.

Shall I give more suggestions ?

Muuri had a feature in which we can set the width of the tiddler using a certain field (I forgot the name). For example control panel always used to open in single column full width state. It seems like a good feature if doable.

doubleclick to make the column wider works. Ctrl +doubleclick to make the tiddler narrow doesnt work in mac. The browser context menu pops up on pressing Ctrl . Is there anything that can be done in the browser setting to avoid this ? Any idea?

Hi BurningTreeC,
Amazing work again!

I have two questions:
How could I modify it so as to make the sidebar work as it does by default in TiddlyWiki? (I’d like to keep it open at all times and not obscure the tiddlers with it [it covers them up with the panel regardless of turning off the “obscure the story river when the panel is shown” option])
Or maybe if it’s not too much trouble it’d be super awesome to have a setting to toggle between this “slide on top” and the default that comes with TW.

I am using TiddlyDesktop and it sadly doesn’t scroll down (or up, or to the side) to the currently active (newly selected) tiddler as I navigate with my keyboard. Based on what I read scrolling through this thread it’s due to a fault in chromium and not the plugin. Is there any chance of making this work? (some of your older implementations of keyboard navigation work perfectly, including this scroll to currently selected tiddler behavior)

Best wishes,
Adam

Hi @arunnbabu81 ,

I’ve made the modifier key for that configurable now. You can use alt for example

1 Like

That’s impossible to do in the multicolumn layout

Hi @Adam ,

welcome to the TiddlyWiki Forum :slight_smile:

I’ll see if I can make it configurable so that the sidebar isn’t on top of the tiddlers. What do you mean by “slide on top” ?

Scrolling in TiddlyDesktop should just work, I tried it today and it worked on my TD installation. What TD version are you using?

Best wishes,
Simon

2 Likes

Thank you for your response and for kindly welcoming me! :slightly_smiling_face:

by saying “slide on top” I just tried to name/describe the current behavior, how after clicking on the hamburger menu icon it sort of slides on top of tiddlers. It would be really great if you could make it configurable, thank you.

I was using v0.0.14 of TD, but I after this question i tried v0.0.15-prerelease.2. when I hit alt+down (or up) it doesn’t scroll down (or up) in neither version. Interestingly, if I navigate to a tiddler out of screen, and go to the next column with alt+right (or left) and go back to the previous column (with alt+left [or right respectively]) it snaps to the previously selected tiddler and scrolls there as it should’ve done in the first place, weird.
The scrolling behavior is working perfectly as intended in firefox. But not in my TD. I cleared my configuration folder and reset TD to default, so no setting I changed in TD is the cause. it’s a mystery.

Thank you,
Adam

1 Like

Hi @Adam ,

which operating system are you using?
I can tell you that it works as it should on my Linux Desktop under TiddlyDesktop.
Do the keyboard shortcuts change the focus to another tiddler if you hit alt-down/alt-up?
Is it just the scroll that doesn’t work?

In the latest version of the plugin I have added a console log in case that the scroll fails, in that case it should log the error message in the browser console. You can open it with F12
If you find something interesting there, you can post a screenshot here and I will have a look

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

Hi Simon,

I’m using windows 10.
I downloaded your example wiki from here MultiColumn Layout — a non-linear personal web notebook
The focus changes, the outline goes to the tiddler where I navigated and I can enter edit mode with alt+e as well, the only thing not working is the scrolling.

I made a video to show you how it looks in action, and opened the console too, but it’s hard to read so I also put some print screens as well in the folder, although it doesn’t look very helpful.
At 0:26 in the video you can observe the weird behavior where it does scroll to the right tiddler if I change columns.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FFpb1SUd1dPz16p3J-lvTaREn9lJRHp?usp=sharing

I think all the
log_event?alt=json&key=AIzaSyAO_FJ2SlqU8Q4STEHLGCilw_Y9_11qcW8
errors are due to my firewall and have nothing to do with the scrolling issue because they are multiplying even if i don’t interact with TD.

Thank you again for your responses,
Adam

Edit: I updated the video to show what i’m pressing on the keyboard for clarity. (the video is 1920x1080, i don’t know why the google drive player thinks it’s 360p. It works after downloading)

Edit 2: As I mentioned it works with Firefox as intended, but I tried with Chrome and Brave browser (chromium based) and both of those work the same as TD in my video. I upgraded Chrome to the newest version. I guess there’s no news there, but maybe it could be useful that i double tested with those.

1 Like

I noticed that in MCL beta 49.0 you now include a Tiddler for that ($:/plugins/BTC/tiddlywiki-multi-columns/ui/Templates/columnswitcher)! Thanks, it is useful!

TT

#Comment: Initial Review Of Uses …

@BurningTreeC, having used this a few weeks now I want to say again: it is brilliant! I think it a very well designed utility for flexible layouts.

Jut FYI I wanted to comment on my likely uses of it …

1. Obviously a primary aim is to interactively create a layout for a TW

… but there are other uses, like …

1. To be able to quickly prototype designs

2. You can use it well as a design tool to test CSS even if the final design is not for column-based TWs. So it’s power is for more than columns alone.

3. Use as an instant repository of possible layouts via the excellent “Ensemble” tool that saves layout and the tiddlers in every “column-river” of a layout-set

UPDATE …

1. One thing I think really helpful is the sheer flexibility of what you can do with it!
    What I mean is that this one plugin enables you to do what otherwise might need several plugins.
    I personally far prefer to learn one tool well than several not so well :-).

Buongiorno
TT

Hi Simon @BurningTreeC ,
what is the secret of the smooth and direct drag-and-drop behaviour of your layout.
It feels so much better than what I was able to realize with drop-actions combined with action-listops?
best wishes Jan