A multi-column Layout / Storyview (new Thread)

https://ihm4u.github.io/tw5plugs/#

This must be the latest tidgraph plug in. I havent seen it getting updated during the last two year or more. I guess it is not being maintained actively.

Macros & Plugins With MCL ??? …

Ciao BTC,

When you get some time I do think documenting the inner mechanisms of MCL a bit more would help a lot.

Maybe a couple of example macros would help make clear what is happening?

It is not immediately obvious at the moment that every column in MCL is actually an independent Story River that (basically) knows it exists but doesn’t directly know any other river does.

FYI, I found it very interesting how you designed the very good “reductive search” tool.
That knows about all rivers.

Just a comment
TT

I don’t know where to start @TiddlyTweeter
I’d like to know in what people are interested in…

1 Like

Hi @BurningTreeC

Is there a way to increase the speed with which the scrolling moves while navigating via keyboard shortcuts?
(For example: it’s really apparent if I have a column with lots of tiddlers and navigate from the top to the end of the list by alt+up or at the last tiddler alt+down to go back to the top - it has a maximum scrolling speed that i find a bit slow. It also clear to observe if I have long tiddlers.)
It seems like it’s a lot faster in FF than TiddlyDesktop, but both are slower than I’d prefer. TD is really slow.

Thank you

Hi @BurningTreeC

Having 1-n columns of tiddlers of unequal height and then being able to drag them around is fantastic. However I don’t need the other UI elements (sliding sidebars, column selection, etc.) as I’m happy with my own sidebar.

Is it possible to create a pared-down version of MCL with just the core column functionality? Maybe layer other functionality on top with additional plugins?

Cheers!

Aidan

Consider hacking the standard MCL and capuring the changed tiddlers into a json package. It is “expencive” to maintain a “fork”. You can then drop this on a wiki with standard MCL to activate your hacked version. @BurningTreeC is a very good designer / coder and his solutions are eminently hackable. You may need to wait for @TiddlyTweeter and others documenting MCL first and for it to stabalise.

The other option is to extract/emulate MCLs methods to build the solution you want with acknowledgements.

Remember you can switch layouts to revert to an almost standard layout, so you could start building a new aditional layout with the full MCL behind the scenes or just use the switcher ensemble.

1 Like

Hi @Adam ,

with the implementation of scrolling in MCL it’s impossible to increase the scroll-speed

But I could add an option that it jumps instantly without smooth scroll

Hi @ahanniga ,

I’ll have a look if it’s possible to modularize MCL so that you can use just the story-rivers. Maybe it’s possible

1 Like

Hi @ahanniga

https://burningtreec.github.io/tiddlywiki-multi-columns-stripped-down/

Tell me if you can do anything with this version of the plugin

Best wishes,
Simon

Instant jump would be better in TD I think, in fact, I think I’d prefer that anyway based on how I turned off all other animations in TW, so if it’s not much trouble please add that as an option

Thank you

1 Like

Query about TW Version Needed?

In finishing some docs I’d like to check that the version of TW you need for MCL is …

TW v. 5.2.3 or higher?

Yes?
TT

Yes, exactly. I’ll add that to the readme :slightly_smiling_face: thanks

You can now set the “scroll-behavior” to “auto” for instant jump

2 Likes

One thing that I think interesting is whether it would ever be possible from an URL to trigger an MCL TiddlyWiki to start a specific Ensemble via the URL?

Just a general query!

My thinking is that you can use ensembles to show many things but to leverage them you’d need a way to “invoke” the one you wanted from an URL?

Is this a pipe dream? :blush:

Best, TT.

Yes, I don’t think that’s doable

Best wishes,
Simon

1 Like

Hi Simon,

That’s something I can work on, thanks!

Essentially what I’m trying to get to is a better version of the split-view plugin using MCL rather than fixed grid (which expands smaller tiddlers to make them equal height such as with the README below).

Plus the other benefits of MCL such as the up/down and cross-column drag magic.

That’s the idea anyway, will take a look.

Thanks again,

Aidan

1 Like

I think it very interesting having a “simple canvas” like …

I’m interested, @ahanniga, where you get with it.

Best, TT

@BurningTreeC Can ensemble feature be made as a seperate plug in for working with non-MCL wikis.
I have extracted the ensemble tiddlers from the MCL plug in and used in other wikis. It works fine. But there are MCL only fields like column in it. So ensemble as a seperate plug in would be useful for non-MCL uses.

@BurningTreeC

The solution told here is not working for hotzone and echarts TheBrain (The error message is not seen, but the TheBrain echarts is not working)

Here is a demo wiki - https://mcl-echarts.tiddlyhost.com/

I have embedded the demo site of echarts TheBrain also inside the wiki for comparison