5 New Note-Taking Apps Making Waves in 2023

What can we learn from them to improve OUR TiddlyWiki?

3 Likes

We can’t recommend blank html wiki in this way, so I may write articles to introduce TidGi app like those apps when it reaches 1.0

1 Like

We need to create dedicated editions that can do 1 thing well, promote them and charge money on a subscription basis.

1 Like

Perhaps we can learn from them, but scaning through the reviews there is little new to tiddlywiki however they may have a nice GUI and have some value being simpler, or only dealing with a subset of ideas. Sometimes simple suits people.

Personaly I am more interested in finding ideas, algorithums and methods which I use in tiddlywiki if they suit me. Of course other users, new users will have different wants and needs. To promote and increase TiddlyWiki users such editions may be helpful, but if I look at my own needs and interests tiddlywiki is my platform.

I do care about the health of the community promoting and aquring new users is arguably a good thing todo for the community, it helps counteract natural attrition, new users often teach us more and become contributors and innovators with diverse perspectives, and they are certianly nessasary to understang the “naive perspectives” of tiddlywiki. So I will continue to help recruit.

But if I am honest, personaly I don’t need to recruit users, I just want to deliver solutions to anyone, without needing them to become enthusasts or community members, without even knowing what tiddlywiki is, unless they want to commission me.

• Agree something like this may establish a services market, or we could do it as a community, to build up a fund to comission work from members.
  • Howerver it takes a lot of effort to package solutions for naive users because it demands insignts not available to us, their needs and capabilities.
  • Perhaps additional tools to get usage analytics helping us do research and A/B Tests of usage would help.

A Note-Taking app not mentioned there that Tiddlywiki might want to take note of and that I have not seen mentioned here yet, is SilverBullet. The Offline-First PWA goal, as well as a few other appealing aspects when I first checked it out in late 2022 when it was on Hacker News, I will admit, has been tempting me.

1 Like

It looks really cool, but I think the live preview thing would drive me crazy.

It appears SilverBullet, from a little reading only, that it has some features I have always thought we could or should introduce to TiddlyWiki including PWA and collaboration features, especially the simultaneous edit part. However it does seem suited to enthusiasts where it seems easier to make tiddlywiki look like a website or app for naive users.

They are an open source community perhaps some collaboration?

1 Like

Man, thats cool.

Took some time to get used to their live edit feature, but overall I’m much more satisfied with tiddlywiki and its wikitext/tiddlytext over markdown haha

Still, I enjoy the modal search and command feature, very interesting.

But those are all in one, If you can just do one thing well, you can’t compare with them.

Wow, that’s the first one that offers me any temptation away from TW. It doesn’t look powerful enough for some of the things I want to do, and who knows if it will stay around long. But I am very impressed!

@jwd

SilverBullet caught my eyes! I think we can learn from it! Thank you for sharing.

By the way, I believe we have most of it in TiddlyWiki. A page template with a single tiddler view gives the same look and feel.
Also Command Palette + Autocomplete plugins do most of the job!

1 Like

Agreed. There is nothing there that stands out for me as far from what we could do with TW, except maybe the PWA deployment model. But it’s a very nice combination of features, and I very much like the inline editing – which would be quite tricky with full wikitext, but works well for Markdown+.

TiddlyWiki does have a way of being turned into a PWA as well, with the addition of a few tiddlers, here is a discussion about it for reference, it works really well for using your TW on your android device when hosted from TiddlyHost. Haven’t tried it with other OS or platforms yet, but I imagine using github would have the same success

Personally I prefer Tiddlywiki’s wikitext over markdown, so SilverBullet, Obsidian, and FeatherWiki are very interesting, but don’t feel as intuitive.

That real-time collaboration (without special intranet, and with google-doc style cursors for active users) is absolutely the positive feature that could make SilverBullet the right app for some jobs, for me…

… until/unless TiddlyWiki can develop effective collaboration over http on tiddlyhost. :slight_smile:

This thread implies that maybe such a thing is in the pipeline…?

The html post features in 5.3.0. May open the door to some more colab features.

1 Like

That’s super cool. I don’t see a way to use it on a smart phone without a web-facing interface, which probably isn’t convenient for most people.

This does highlight the need for a single-page, clean edition of TW.

The live preview thing is brilliant and what is used by Obsidian too. I wish TW had it or at least an official WYSIWYG mode.

I would love it too, but I think it’s substantially easier with Markdown than with all the features of wikitext.

I wouldn’t expect it to support all of the features of wikitext. That would indeed be a herculean task. Just the basic set of formatting mark-up one expects in modern writing. This could be used for information tiddlers, which could then be listed or transcluded in tiddlers that are hand-crafted and use the advanced features of wikitext. Every single modern major wiki or note taking tool supports live formatting. It’s part of people’s expectations for any viable note-taking platform.

1 Like