Configuring a TiddlyWiki for Non-Tiddlywiki Users

I have a group wiki where most of the users are not familiar with tiddlywiki. All of them are editors, but I handle most of the more tiddlywiki-specific things (like anywhere they want something customized)

I’m trying to make the wiki as easy as possible to use for these editors. Any ideas to improve their experience? (It’s mainly being used document/note app, and those editors are only concerned with editing tiddlers and not the power user side)

You can set up an alternate layout that hides everything non-essential to the other editors.

You could include a toggle button to quickly switch between “editor” mode and the normal layout.

Just as an example of how TiddlyWiki instance can be altered to not look at all like a TiddlyWiki instance, take a look at BASIC Anywhere Machine.

It is all about creating and editing BASIC programs. So just a simple full-page “one tiddler at a time” editor.

2 Likes

making toolbar buttons and sidebar buttons for common things like if you have a standard format for some documents, or if you wanna use custom characters like ¢ or é

could also make an <indent/> snippet or button for writing paragraphs

<style>
indent, .indent {
	margin-left: 4ch;
}
</style>

<indent/>hello
how are you?

<div class="indent">
Hello There
<br/>
How are you?
</div>

Is this going to be a multi-user TW or are they all going to have their own copy and just export/share tiddlers?

What are your users’ current pain-points? I find that just for editing plain content, the vanilla TW experience goes pretty far, that linking and basic transclusion are usually obvious enough. That can get you pretty far.

I would probably show the Home button in the page controls (and possibly the Permaview one) and I would show the Permalink one on the tiddler controls. If you have a simple toggle that hides and shows certain controls, then hide the control panel button, the Tools and More side panel tabs, and possibly the fields entry in edit mode. That would give you a pretty useful UI for regular users with a quick way for you to get to power-user mode.

It is a true multi-user TW.

They haven’t really used it yet, so I don’t know. Maybe I’m worrying for nothing, but also most of them don’t even know markdown, so I was trying to make it as easy as possible. It’s very different from a piece of software like google docs.

What setup do you use?

Maybe the LeftBar plugin is of use. Also, maybe a more visual editor would be useful. I guess you ideally don’t want to expose them to wikitext.

BTW, I think your use case is very valuable and I hope do the same at some point.

It’s using tiddlybase. Not my project and is currently unreleased (very alpha), so I won’t talk too much about it (I’ll leave it to the author to say anything more if they want), but when it does get released I will say I fully endorse it.

I think there are in my mind three main concerns

• can the find what they need to read and edit?
  • can they see how to edit and make changes?
  • can they learn what they need. Can they adapt to simple wikitext. I feel the editor tool buttons so self document wiki text to a degree.

I would do a little tweaking to support the above and seek feedback from some users and refine.

You can also do a little to sell and motivate the idea. Ask her for some ideas.

From my experience, off the top of my head, there are three deal-breakers with a lot of folk:

• markup of any kind (word-processor-like WYSIWYG is strongly desired)
  • TiddlyWiki story river
  • TiddlyWiki is in general/overall too technical

My inclination is to take a TiddlyWiki instance and turn it into a forms-based application with a navigation model similar to what one would find in desktop 2-tier database application systems.

Such that, although a wiki, nobody would know that it is a wiki.

I will say, this isn’t a work thing, and the group has all agreed to it already. So it isn’t a case of convincing them.

The story river is one of the best parts :slight_smile: In this case, I have heard a couple say they really like it, so I’m not worried there. Being able to see multiple distant pages at the same time is nice. The editor is strange to new people though.

Although I might say “love” of it is hardly universal, “disdain” of it is also hardly universal.

The folk I’m thinking of were much more comfortable with the Notion interface.

The problem with Notion, TiddlyWiki, and so many things: without a hand-holding explicit and obvious and consistent navigation system, some folk are pretty bewildered, wondering where to start.

But if everybody in your boat has a wiki-mindset, you are golden.

One point I haven’t noticed here in thread yet:

Enable updating navigation bar with each internal navigation, so users don’t have to unlearn their browser-based back-button reflex.

1 Like

For classic story river display, I think scrollback features a way more natural navigation, and I strongly think non-tiddly folks would agree.