WIP: Broad - an alternative layout

I’m pretty happy with how my latest layout experiment is going, so I figured I should put it up for others to scrutinize. It still has a long to go, but it seems to work well enough on my laptop and my iPhone. Good enough!

Broad Layout @ Tiddlyhost

I’m aiming for a distraction-free layout that still keeps functionality easily-accessible. This is definitely idiosyncratic to my own usage and preferences.

A few things I like:

• an alternative layout that is actually working

• getting more comfortable with Flexbox layout and Responsive design

• the Sidebar replacement by the Toolbar that shows on the left side of larger screens and on top of phone screens.

• the Toolbar Panels that replace the normal Sidebar Segments

• the redone Tools tab layout, much easier to read

• the Meta tiddler info panel to move tiddler subtitles and tags out of the way

Things to work on:

• getting colors and text sizes more consistent, I was mainly focused on overall layout so far

• fixing my Story River switching buttons, they broke when I changed how the second River was displayed. I originally ripped off was heavily inspired by BurningTreeC’s MultiColumn Layout until I decided that just 1 extra river is enough for me. Tiddlers can still be manually added by editing the $:/StoryList2 tiddler

• still undecided whether the Toolbar Panels should keep overlapping the Story River on big screens or push it out of the way like it does on the phone screen…

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to poke around. Maybe someone will find something useful or inspiring for their own wiki. :no_mouth:

9 Likes

Cool, thanks for sharing

this looks incredible! can’t wait to try it for real, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Thanks Brian, this is really nice! Simple uncluttered design. I think it will look better with smaller title size and smaller view toolbar buttons. But you mentioned you are still working on those details. I will try using this for a while for a project and give feedback. And yes, the tiddlers shouldn’t be hidden partially under the left margin. Blessings and kudos!

The link does not work for me! Is it a dead link?

Sorry about that, I forgot that I changed the site name. It’s back now

1 Like