Why Gatha is a Game Changer?

• One thing I want is to make sure you don’t burn out especially in the support phase but also adding features, perhaps you could see how to allow others to build compatible solutions by providing the documentation for such additions and/or expose some of its features eg variables, config or fields. Call on me if I can help (eg Plugin inspector)
  • The best time to do this is now with it fresh in your mind.
  • Perhaps make some room so the community can submit workflows or ways to use Gatha eg community submissions. When I start publishing through Gatha I will do some.
  • One way I navigate and understand a plugin is to list the tags (as pills) on plugin shadow tiddlers. It allows the macros, view template sidebar etc… to stand out. This could be added to the Gatha tree and/or we could develop a “Plugin Inspector” that helps people navigate plugin content.
  • I would like to see “data plugins” having some prominence. I would like to see the community publishing data plugins containing tiddlers of test date or useful resources from a list of fruits, to collected bookmarks, geological epochs etc… The ability to generate these, but also add and edit items in such a plugin and “republish” is something Gatha can do.
  • Perhaps we could add a drafts tab to the plugins tab to allow us to see “Draft Plugins”?

Upgrade support

• At least when plugins are delivered via a library it is possible to check if a given plugin requires an update. Just before one goes to generate a “custom wiki” it would be nice if any plugins needing update in the source wiki was flagged. I have a wiki of collected plugins Gatha will help me package bundles of.
  • Perhaps you could build a library dedicated to Gatha for future curation/collection of generator solutions?

Questions

• Is a key value of this solution producing a reference wiki to document a plugin and/or create a demo wiki?
  • Is there a reason you are not saying it can generate editions?
  • When we “load a plugin” (A feature I adore) do we really need to save and reload?

Future dreams - wiki to library
The same techniques and a zip output could be used to generate plugin libraries (collection of files containing plugins as a library) for unzipping on a host and/or Plugin wiki. This would be a good companion to Gatha and along with what Gatha provides it would assist somewhat time poor people start publishing more to the community.

It’s the old do it once and reuse, the more we help each other by smoothing the steps from A-B the more of us that can go from A-B,C etc… such that we are more likely to reach the stars.

Thanks for your acknowledgement of me (Anthony Muscio), you are very welcome.

Love your work @Mohammad

1 Like

It is my pleasure! You always review and comment published work and I like your useful comments and approach.

No, but if you save and reload you wont see the message: this is a shadow tiddler part of … plugin ,…

I add edition! Actually Gatha can create edition. The reason was, Gatha works through creating plugin.

This makes the workflow simple! In previous solution you have to drag and drop produced plugin into a Tiddlywiki, here by pressing a button you have a clean demo.

1 Like

Gatha itself can be used as plugin inspector! but I welcome any suggestion here!
Regarding documentation, I will add both user docs and developer docs. I need to find some free time after stable release.

You can do this! I myself use Commander and add a Working Tag. It only used for the purpose you proposed.

The current version of Gatha can do this easily!

I think we cannot have both the plugin and its draft! There is no difference between a tiddler in plugin and the same plugin in draft! So, we cannot have both at the same time. That will be very confusing!

I prefer to keep production wiki separate from user wiki!

This is out of scope of Gatha! But I think @saqimtiaz had some nice idea here! I know there is some efforts on installing, updating plugins. @linonetwo has also some thoughts here.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic project. We sorely need tools that help create more productive plugin developers for TiddlyWiki. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

2 Likes

What I mean here is the ability when looking at the plugin “tree” in Gatha to see the tags on the various plugin tiddlers. It helps quickly identify tags (with a tag pill) that are otherwise hidden until you open the tiddler.

In my solution development wikis I use my own tool reimagin-tags.json (9.5 KB) which turbo charges the tag pill. From just the tag pill you can copy it, open or close the tagged tiddlers and more including the regular drag and drop order. So hopefully you can see the value of displaying the “plugin tiddlers” tags in in side the gatha tree?

Thanks for your considered relies.

Regards
Tony

1 Like

I think this is how https://github.com/tiddly-gittly/TiddlyWiki-CPL working, it will fetch github releases and wikis to local, and check the update.

Gatha can generate JSON wiki, and put it somewhere to be a download link. And fill that link into CPL will allow CPL check its update every hour via gh-actions.

2 Likes

Your effort will make TW community thrive for a longer time~

I have recommended Gatha in our Chinese tutorial site, and I will recommend people use Gatha to pack up their mini-changes to their wiki, and share them with the community.

2 Likes

Can Gatha act like Bundler?

Well bundler is handy plugin and has easy interface for exporting, sharing, and backing up tiddlers and tools! So, it is a very useful, and is recommended to be used!

However, if for any reason you have Gatha, then it has a backup feature!

• click on create new plugin (acts as a container)
  • add publisher name and plugin name
  • save
  • now you can add tiddlers to your newly created container
  • export the container (backup json file)

That’s all!

You can drag and drop this container to any wiki you like!
If target wiki has the Gatha installed, then you have the container for edit and re-export there!

Thanks for that, @Mohammad

Can you confirm…

does NOT create a plugin or change/modify any tiddler types?

Yes!

• The create new plugin creates only a simple tiddler e.g. $:/plugins/kookma/bundle01
  • Then you can add existing tiddlers to Extra tiddlers part (you may create new tiddlers to be exported…)
  • Click on the export backup json file
    • this creates the bundle on the fly! no json is created in the host wiki!

:heart: :heart_eyes:

Me likey. Lots.

1 Like

Just to let you know.

The next version of bundler-plugin will get a button to create a plugin-configuration tiddler from a bundle-config tiddler. The interface will be part of the tiddler info area and much more minimalistic than Gatha.

The reason for the delay is, that I need more functionality from the core tabs-macro, to “pimp” the tiddler info-area. There is a proposal about possible extensions of the tabs-macro at GitHub.

2 Likes

Hi @Mohammad

Is Gatha able to create a demo wiki based on another TW edition than empty.html ? For example the fr-FR edition ?

For translation purposes it would be incredibly useful to me if I could export a complete working wiki based on the fr-FR edition of TW, with the addition of 2 of @pmario 's plugins, some utility tiddlers and some data tiddlers.

Amazing work you’re doing on Gatha by the way, everyone being so enthusiastic about it shows how important it will be for the community! A big thank you for Gatha and all your other contributions!

Fred

Hi Fred,
Yes, Gatha does this job easily!

Steps:

IMPORTANT: backup your data first

1. install Gatha in a wiki you like to reproduce it like fr-FR edition

2. create a empty plugin from Gatha interface in the right sidebar

3. add a readme or any tiddler to the new plugin draft

4. from the Sidebar > More Tab> Gatha
    4.1. edit the publish filter

5. now in Gatha interface, under your new created plugin tab, each time you click on the export demo, a tailored Tiddlywiki with all your customization will be exported!

NOTE: The created plugin actually is not required, but as Gatha is designed to export plugins, so the export button works that way! In future version I will add an edition project type. By the way it is good to have a readme or note tiddler to describe your edition.

Note ii: You can even have more customization e.g. per export, per plugin!

There are two publish filters:

The dedicated publishFilter is private to that plugin, so you can have several projects in the same production Tiddlywiki and generate several editions!

You can reproduce engineered wiki;-)

3 Likes

Hello @Mohammad, I just tried to import Gatha 1.0.1 into a fresh TW 5.3.2 and discovered a difference compared to Gatha 0.9.5. When I click “new plugin” the many plugin specific fields in the newly opened tiddler are missing.

After some searching around (I felt like a newbie) I found the settings in the More tab of the sidebar again. Switching the “hide / toggle” fields visibility seemed to work with existing plugins but not with the “new plugin” button.

Version 0.9.5 is still usable, so I am sticking with that. Just wanted to let you know.

Cheers, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thank for reporting this. I am waiting for TW 5.3.3 bug release and then push a new update.

Best wishes
Mohammad

1 Like

Hi Mohammad,

Today, I tested Gatha v1.0.2 from Gatha Studio Workspace — create and export plugins, editions, and packages in browser and found some missing tiddlers:

• $:/config/gatha/EditTemplateBodyFilters/PluginMetaData
  • $:/config/gatha/ViewTemplateBodyFilters/PluginMetaData

They are not included in the plugin anymore. The plugin-drafts look as expected when I import them manually from v0.9.5. Also $:/config/gatha/PublishFilter is not included anymore – should I import it manually too?

All the best,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Probably I did something wrong with update to TW 5.3.3.
I will have a look and push a new update this weekend.

Best

2 Likes

I have only turned to Gatha now to create a plugin from what was previously a json package. I used relink to change all the source tiddlers to the required namespace, renamed the root tiddler to a subtiddler and created the plugin.

• Since I am newly using to Gatha I don’t know what should be there, but certainly something is missing.
  • I am not sure how to edit the plugin info such as “Information tabs” as the field is visible in view mode but not edit, adding “Information tabs” field to the root plugin tiddler is ignored.
    • I add readme to Information tabs and have a tiddler pluginroot/readme
    • I found this should be in the list field of the plugin tiddler, but the IDE plugin is not up[dated.

Otherwise the packaging seems to work well.