Why Doesn't Discourse Look Like TiddlyWiki?

One thing about online discussion groups I dislike is that they create “distance” from the aim. One talks about things rather than directly instancing them.

My point?

Would it not be better IF the CSS for our discourse could better reflect the look of standard TW?

I dunno if it is possible. I did look at how Discourse uses CSS and it is open to admins but it is not possible, I think, to make a post with a stylesheet embedded. So any CSS change needs to be in place already.

Any interest in this?
To re-state my first:

It would be good IF we could write posts here that reflect TW standard layouts???

TT

The process is relatively straight forward. There is the Beginners Guide … to get an overview about the different types to modify themes.

The important part is at the end of the post, if the reader made it that far: Further Reading … Which tells us, what else is important. …

IMO the minimum requirement to start discourse theming is “Read it all at least once!”

One may say: I don’t have a discourse instance to create themes and I’m not an admin here to test stuff. … We are covered: Beginner's guide to using Discourse Themes - admins - Discourse Meta

There is https://discourse.theme-creator.io which will allow us to create and test themes, without the need to mess with an existing forum, where errors may be a catastrophic.

I did sign up there, to test the minimal theme, that is part of this forum, because of user requests. … The minimal theme did already exist. So I only needed to test it.

I don’t have any idea how to create a new theme and I don’t have the time to even read the docs linked here. Since the devil is in the details the discourse forum may be the best way to ask specific questions: https://meta.discourse.org/ … They are super friendly and well formulated questions get competent answers …

I think that’s it.

Why Doesn’t Discourse Look Like TiddlyWiki?

May be, because if we want to create a new theme, we need to know the underlaying system very well. …

IMO it’s just a question of “how far the commitment” goes.

2 Likes

@pmario thanks for all your comments and links.

FYI I did do quite a lot of testing of taking TW rendered HTML into Discourse. It works mainly fine but it throws away styling directives.

I’ll see if I can make sense of the links you gave.

Tx, TT