Where Are Non-TiddlyWiki5 Tiddlers Stored under Node.js?

Typically late to the party, I’m finally wading into TiddlyWiki on Node.js in earnest. You can guess what that means: questions and a bit of exciting confusion.

I managed to successfully bring over all my tiddlers from a single-file TiddyWiki, but I’ve noticed not all of them get saved as .tid files to the \tiddlers directory.

Specifically, I can’t find any .tid files for non-text/vnd.tiddlywiki tiddlers. Image tiddlers (whether saved as base64-encoded embedded data or external references with canonical URIs) are nowhere to be found in my \tiddlers folder.

No other folders exist in my new Node-powered TiddlyWiki’s root.

And yet — the tiddlers are there in my new Node-driven TiddlyWiki when viewed in the browser. I can edit and save changes to them, and the changes persist through refreshes and even shutting down the Node instance and restarting it.

So — where are they?
Are the .tid files stored somewhere else?
Are they not stored as .tids at all?

I’ve also noticed my text\html tiddlers don’t appear in the store of .tid files at \tiddlers.

Surely I’m missing something fundamental (and probably obvious) about running under Node.js.

:confused:

EDIT:
If you’re curious why I couldn’t see these files, this is the post where you see what I was doing wrong.

They should be there, but as an image file (e.g. .png, jpg, etc.) and a corresponding meta file (e.g. .png.meta, .jpg.meta, etc.). In most cases, the image file will be a stub file (0 bytes) and the ASCII info in the meta file. I would like to know why the stub is necessary, but there you go.

Hmmm. They’re not.

With images, my standard naming scheme would be something like:

$:/backgrounds/beckoning lights off the pier.jpg

Maybe the .png suffix in the title led to them being stored somewhere else?

My HTML tiddlers are just things like:

$:/XML/KEEPASS: Split Autotype Sequence

No faux extensions there.

I’ve looked in /ProgramFiles and /AppData (on Windows), thinking perhaps npm put them somewhere near the directories where Node files are, but I’m coming up empty.

I’m trying a search for .meta files on the drive now that I know what to look for. So far, I’m turning up nothing, though.

Are you certain the wiki is not being saved to your Downloads folder with the download saver?

In your browser address bar, is the wiki open using the http:// protocol or a file:// protocol?

1 Like

Solid ideas, @amreus!

Nothing there. I haven’t even invoked the save button manually. I just see it spinning and working its magic when I make changes to tiddlers — and I can see the missing tiddlers being imported in the console window:

This is me selectively loading just a couple of the missing tiddlers.

HTTP using the local IP:

Here are the only .tid files generated in the tiddler store:

For what it’s worth, I’m running TiddlyWiki 5.1.23 on Node.js 16.17.0 on Windows 10 21H1.

Rather than looking via file explorer, what happens if you do a DIR from your /tiddlers folder?

1 Like

@Mark_S, @amreus, you guys are life-savers.

The solution, it turns out, is one I’ve encountered before: I’m an idiot! :sweat_smile:

I use (and highly recommend!) Directory Opus as my file explorer. But I’ve used it to create a highly customized view for folders that contain .tid files — so they only show me .tid, .json, .twc, and .tw5 files. I did this years ago at a little deeper level in Opus than I should have — and am so used to it, it didn’t even occur to me that it might be affecting what I’m seeing. Using dir immediately showed me what a moron I’ve been all day.

:clown_face:

The Show everything selector here overrides any Opus file-filtering you may have turned on, even embedded in the listers (file windows) themselves:

Watch what happens when I enable it (animated GIF):

C1DF409A-7FB0-4F04-83B9-DCAF949229A9