What versions of each browser should be the minimally supported when creating stylesheets?

Pretty much what the title says, does TiddlyWiki have a hard rule for the oldest versions of each major browser it’s styles should support?

For instance, I would like to use more advanced CSS like @supports() and color-mix(), but I don’t know if these features would be too new to be used.

No, as I understand it, tiddlywiki has no hard rule its the browsers that do.

You can add html and css to tiddlywiki freely. The question is will the browser it is running in respond correctly, that is a bigger question. Something that can help is the browser sniffer plugin to obtain more information about the browser it is running in.

Look into the published css for guidence on browser and version compatibility.

See w3schools css it documents compatibility.

Ah, I was afraid that might be the case.

That is the question I am worried about. I’m a bit suprised there wasnt any set minimal supported browsers when tw5 was being made.

While I can use w3 and mozilla to know which browser versions each function is supported on, I still don’t know the general guidelines for what is used for the core css, which is what I like to keep my own work compatible with as much as possible, so if Anyone wants to use the code I give, I don’t need to worry about it not heing supported on their choice of browser.

Don’t be worried, that is the best of all possible worlds it can be, for tiddlywiki itself.

There are a kind of value judgement to be made, if a particular function is available in all major browsers and had being for some time, I think it fair to expect users of your wiki, to be on a more recent version, even the current generally available version is a fair expectation.

• however this issue has had to be addressed for decades and CSS experts (I am not one) may be able to tell you how to make it fail gracefully.
  • The issue only becomes a tiddlywiki one if you modify its core tiddlers. If this is only used for your content it should be fine.
  • If you are concerned and have experienced problems, you could provide some config settings that allows people to opt in or out.

Remember that TW came out in 2004, when IE6 was most popular and Safari and Firefox were quite new. These were the days when some diehards were still using Netscape. Wikis written in that era should still function fine, although saving was… wonky. TW has always had a strong focus on backward compatibility.

So the core is very conservative in what new things it chooses to adopt. But that does not need to affect you. The core runs your Javascript and applies your CSS, using the browser’s implementation. But it doesn’t need to interpret either of them itself. So you can use whatever CSS you like. As long as the browsers you (and others) use to interact with it support those CSS features, it should work fine.

1 Like

huh, well I guess i can work with that.

Though it makes me want to start a pole or a thread on what the oldest versions of browsers people are using and just, base my CSS off of that.

There are stats like this available on the internet, not need to involve this small audience, although you are welcome to.