What is you TiddlyWiki work and play environment?

Folks,

In this thread @CodaCoder declared;

Which is a serious set up, and others have shared how they use diminutive raspberry Pi’s or old unloved laptops and some of you may live on mobile devices.

I thought I would share my plans to migrate from my laptop+monitor setup to a new one below.

This promoted me to start this topic;

What is you TiddlyWiki work and play environment?

I ask so we can learn from each other what tiddlywiki can look like in our different homes and work places. Please share, and this is not a bigger is better, because we all know tiddlywiki can run on the “smell of an oily rag”, squeezing the most out of resources is also a challenge to be celebrated. Some of us have controlled work environments with software and internet security limiting the possibilities, how do you get tiddlywiki into these places.

Hardware

I was using a Laptop plus two monitors, currently laptop + one monitor, but I have decided to not upgrade my laptop - which I use as a desktop and instead get an Intel NUC
11th Generation, i7 32GB ram upgradable to 64GB (one day) with a 2TB SSD, as a result I will replace the Laptop monitor in the set up, with a new monitor to complement my current 1920x1080. I have decided on one with 3840 x 2160 and most importantly the pivot stand, that allows it to be turned from landscape to portrait which I hope will good for authorship.

TiddlyWiki installs.
I am now running on windows, bob.exe, tiddlyserver, a webDav and lots of single file wikis on Firefox, chrome with Timimi, and playing with “edge”. I have used TWEXE, HTA files and Local node setups.

I spend most of my day in one or more of a dozen or so tiddlywiki’s for purpose, so the browser and tiddlywiki is my main place of work, play and tiddlywiki development. In fact the challenge now is not running out of RAM but ensuring the Bowsers do not limit the resources they make use of, too much. I would be happy to give Chrome and Fire fox 8GB each if I can.

Please let the community (and ever so curious me) know what your tiddlywiki space looks like, little or large, slow or fast and any key tricks and techniques important to your set up.

1 Like

I answered via this Google Form, with form submission going to this publicly visible Google Sheet.

In case anybody is interested in comparing the different ways of gathering/providing info.

Me, I find the Form thing kind of “cold” (socially detached, all business.) Cognitive disability in play, I find organised info so much easier to process.

The Form and Results are there for your giggles if you want to experiment.

Charlie,

I appreciate your work and suggestions, however here I was more interested in triggering a conversation rather than collecting data. Although I hope people do answer the survey, personally I find them often too restrictive. They are hard to write in a way to quantitively gather data whilst not “influencing the result”. For example if we were collecting information about the hardware we use tiddlywiki on, I would possibly provide info on each of my devices, not just my new one.

Regardless I love the demonstration of google forms :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yeah, I know. Hence why I went through the effort of writing my post the way I did. Wasn’t meant as a criticism of you. Meant as a “I replied to you this way, because I cannot stand TiddlyTalk.”

Needless to say, folk who want to try it can. Folk who don’t want to try it won’t. Fine by me without any howevers.

In an open community forum, any discussion can go all kind of ways. I didn’t think I was off topic or trying to dissuade folk from engaging in the way you want them to.

1 Like

No problems Charlie, Thanks for the contribution.

Everyone do the best to fill out the survey, I have, and please tell your story here.

1 Like

Oh, Let me add on my Windows computer I have a folder called “tiddlywiki Intranet” containing more than 500 files and 50 folders. I install a import multiple button <$browse multiple/> on my wikis and I use this import button, and the open dialogue to search for tiddlywiki components to install as needed in any wiki.

Just my laptop, and that’s it. Asus Zenbook. I use it non-stop, at home and work. I chew up a laptop in about 1.5 years, and used to get really frustrated why they didn’t last longer but have accepted it so I don’t care much: it is just a machine and I get the next one when they break down. No real brand pref, but only windows. It would be nice with some giant connected monitor, or even two of them, but it just wouldn’t work because I move around too much and, regardless, my desk is my dinner table so I just couldn’t have a separate monitor.

BUT for TW I have a been longing for a special setup for over a decade:
I wish there was a tablet that I could hang on the wall to show my household wiki. And it should just hang there, next to the fridge, for direct access to feed in shopping needs, reference info etc and messages to the kids. But because it just hangs there, it should (probably) have to be an e-ink type screen (like the ebooks use) so it can be left running a looong time. But I don’t think there is one that is performant and cheap enough, i.e the screen would need to be around 14" and responsive - and it would need to access the web and generally allow surfing if I wanted to. AFAIK ain’t no tablet like that.

I also wish there were much more efficient ways to feed TW. TW is cumbersome and demands too much attention to feed. This is relevant to this discussion thread because some solutions would require hardware: I wish I could just take camera snapshots with my cell phone, or scan stuff, and it automatically ends up in my TW. Or voice record straight into TW and have it voice-to-text translate. Also send emails to become tiddlers. I believe Evernote features some of those things. Interestingly, such features might allow for multi-user wikis more easily than currently: having multiple people send data to TW means there is not the same risk for conflict as when multiple people are to edit a wiki. Typing is a slow thing but an incoming message is quick and can be put in a queue without the sender suffering from it. Of course, editing an already existing tiddler is another matter.

2 Likes

I’d be going with something like this to hang on the wall: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-chromebook-3-14-touch-laptop-mediatek-mt8183-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-arctic-grey/6447140.p?skuId=6447140

Lacking e-ink screen, but what the heck.

Well, take your pick: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=pcmcat244900050010&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=features_facet%3DFeatures~Touch%20Screen^parent_laptopscreensizesv_facet%3DScreen%20Size~12"%20-%2014.9"&sc=Global&sp=%2Bcurrentprice%20skuidsaas&st=categoryid%24pcmcat244900050010&type=page&usc=All%20Categories