What is the Good Terminology for Source in Tiddlywiki Zettelkasten?

Tiddlywiki now has few Zettelkasten Editions

1. Soren Zettelkasten edition (https://zettelkasten.sorenbjornstad.com/|)
  2. David Stroll edition (Stroll — A Roam-like experience in a free, downloadable file)
  3. Mohammad Mehregan edition ( Mehregan — personal knowledge management app (kookma.github.io))

also

I want to know what terminology should I use for different sources?

I want to use these names for categorization!

One dirty name is link you can call every source a link or tag it with link! but link is a very bad name!

From above editions I found

• people
  • book
  • webpage (very general many things are webpage…)
  • idea

I like the method of naming in Soren and Mohammad works. They use Source for many links and then a format as subcategory like: book, e-book, article, report, …

Consider a general purpose Tiddlywiki edition, what names, terms do you propose for sources?

1 Like

I am not actually sure what you mean buy source to be in a position to name it. I think you may be referring to places where you set a relationship between items, the first that comes to mind is tiddler because Tiddlywiki is made of tiddlers, or rather than source you could say tiddlername. If however you are looking for something more universal, I would first look at what set the items belong to and then identify what you may call the parts.

First does the Zettelkasten not use “card” in its terminology? Perhaps info internally (a tiddler) is card and externally is link or source?

Here is a little auto-brainstorming

Examples of the Whole → parts

• Whole → parts
  • Notebook → note
  • Network → node
  • Library → books
  • Population → people/or persons/contact
  • Group → member
  • Set → item

Something to note is also the use of plural (many) and singular (one)

• Notes → note
  • Ideas → idea
  • Sets → set → item (in set)
  • Items → item

However you could consider words that describe parts as well

• Piece(s)
  • Part(s)
  • Fragment(s)
  • Items(s)
  • Reference(s)

Keep in mind you can over generalise sometimes it is best to keep different names for a reference to something else because then it highlights the difference.

I think the use of source is to say “the source is where it came from” like the source of a river, or the source of a news article eg New York times, or a url address. I tend to call this a “link” to a source first then rename it to a more suitable name like “NYTimes article” so underlying this its is always a link.

By the way this is what a thesaurus (not a dinosaur) is good for, or search for “SYNONYM source” eg SOURCE Synonyms: 51 Synonyms & Antonyms for SOURCE | Thesaurus.com but other than “connection” I do not get much here. I do note however the word antecedent which introduces the idea that something comes before in time, so makes me think of

• Cause → event
  • Previous > Next

I hope this inspires and answer, best of luck.

I laughed ! :grin:
All by myself in the pale glow of my laptop screen… (these last words only for the 20 characters limit)

What’s another word for “thesaurus”?
Why is “abbreviation” such a long word?

Thank you all.

By source I mean anything comes from outside my TidllyWiki. A source in my TiddlyWIki is a tiddler contains

• title: short meaningful name for that link
  • text: few lines summary from the source, for example an article in New York Times
  • remarks: my few words about this source I can search it later
  • ref: a line appear at the bottom of tiddler contains a url (link) to that source

I can tag all f them with link (very bad practice)! But I see in above mentioned Zettelkasten editions, they used people, book, article, webpage, organization, software, course, …

In Refnotes from kookma, I see it uses APA7 for sources, that is book, e-book, paper, conference paper, dissertation, … BUT my use case is not academic and I use a mix of academic and web (e.g podcast, blog, white paper, quotes, …)

If I choose freely those names (terminology) I see my TiddlyWiki soon gets very noisy, crowded and very difficult to find things…

So, I asked what is the best terminology for sources ( information comes from outside of my wiki)

I cannot find the thread, but I am sure there was already a very long thread on tagging and some recommendation to use tags! I think your question is related to categorization and using tags.

In Mehregan, I use two min categories

• People (refer to a human)
  • Source (refer to bibliography)
    • A bibliography is a list of sources (books, journals, Web sites, periodicals, etc.) one has used for researching a topic.

You can see the right sidebar → Thinkup → People tab and Source tab

Examples from Mehregan

Sample Source tiddler

Sample People tiddler

In this topic I take it you are looking for more philosophical advice on organizing sources. I would say it all depends on what sort of sources you are cataloging on a regular basis.

For books I make heavy use of OCLC Classify -- an Experimental Classification Service , which helps me search WordCat which is often the most complete record for any book. I then look at the results and pick a WorldCat entry to extract the necessary metadata I want to record. For me, I record as follows as fields:

• caption (full title of the book)
  • author
  • year
  • ebook (yes or no if I have an ebook copy)
  • print (yes or no if I have an ebook copy)
  • worldcat (OCLC identifier)

(but record whatever metadata is most important to you and the sources you are collecting)

I think the most challenging part is figuring out what to title the tiddler as. I use book-short-title and reserve the full title of the book for the caption field. If you use a prefix, it’s much easier later if for some reason you want to change the prefix to something else. The main goal is to pick a unique name that isn’t too long but is consistent to whatever type of scheme you want to implement. For papers I might use paper-year-author-last-name. The idea is to put just a bit of context in the title so it stands out in searches.

1 Like

Very good advice! I even recommend to use this advice for all tiddlers. In contrast to Tiddlywiki official docs which recommend caption for short title, I like @markkerrigan recommendation. Use sort title for tiddler title, long title for caption. This make life much easier when you search (search result) use dynamic table (tiddler title), direct links, …