What is the cheapest (preferably) free and easy-to-set-up cloud provider to host TW on Nodejs?

I want to host my Journal wiki on the web. It’s small in size. I prefer nodeJS because every tiddler is stored in individual files.

I already have a domain name.

What options do I have to host my wiki on NodeJS in the cloud, provided that it is free/cheap and easy to set up?

a digital ocean droplet is probably the cheapest and easiest option. How ‘easy’ you consider it is largely a matter of how comfortable you are with setting up a server, it is the easiest one to setup that I have used. their cheapest option is $6/month and is more than enough to run a wiki. I am working on getting a docker setup to make deploying Bob easy, using the core server should be pretty similar.
If I am lucky I will be able to poke it this weekend and write up how to do it, if not then I have no idea when it would happen.

If anyone has a suggestion other than digitalocean I would like to know so I can look at other options.

3 Likes

For those not in the know an internet facing Node.js with Bob is possibly a state of the art solution, as bob handles multi-user, multi-access saving on a per tiddler basis.

• I hope I can do this one day.
  • So far I have found it difficult

For completeness on Hosting, without Node.js, single file

• Tiddlyhost is a good solution to getting online
  • Cpanel hosting is available at very low cost all over the internet, this can be used for single file wikis with tw-receiver.
3 Likes

Here is some more information that some might find helpful.

This guy had posted comparisons and benchmark results of various hosting (VPS) providers. It’s worth reading.

I think the cheapest option right now is $2.5/= per month from Vultr with the following configuration

1. One previous generation Intel CPUs
  2. 10GB storage on a regular SSD
  3. 0.5 TB bandwidth
  4. 0.5 GB memory

What hardware configuration do I need for decent performance?

I have no idea what kind of performance I will get out of any configuration. I am running TiddlyWiki locally on excellent hardware. I cannot relate to the hardware configurations posted on the VPS providers’ websites.

Google Computer Engine

GCE has a free tier. If I understood its terms correctly, then I can host TiddlyWiki for free as long as I limit my usage to a single instance of e2-micro.

Time investment in setting up a server

I do not want to spend time setting up a server and ensuring its security. My to-do list is brimming with high-priority tasks as is.

So I was hoping for some service provider that I can just tell, “hey, run the TiddlyWiki app on these tiddlers. Here is the link to relevant GitHub repositories”. But my search has been unfruitful.

What configuration do I need for hosting TiddlyWiki?

Because of the issues above, I have no idea it is even worth investing time in setting up a cheap server. You can spend hours learning and then setting up the server, but in the end, if you get a subpar performance from the cheap or free tier, then it is just not worth your time.

The lowest tier on anything should be fine, I doubt there are any services that offer something that doesn’t have the requirements for tiddlywiki.
The setup part is a different matter, that is why I am working on the docker stuff, if I can figure it out (I have never used it before so it is a learning experience) than it should be very simple to set up on anything that can use docker.

1 Like

Please do share your results, even if they are not 100% successful.

You know, installing NodeJS, Git and TiddlyWiki on a VPS is not the hard part. It is the setting up of security and firewalls, and SSL certs that worry me.

I wish there were some sort of ready-made automation script for setting up a secure NodeJS script. (Either my web search skills have failed me, or such a script does not exist.)

The small print is “IPv6 Only”. Don’t know if that makes any difference to anyone, but I suspect it makes the various tutorials harder to interpret.

I just set up Bob on a digital ocean droplet with nginx handling authentication and access and https via lets encrypt.

The instructions are here OokTech-TW / BobDocker · GitLab

It could be modified to use the core tiddlywiki server instead, but that will be left to someone else.

Hopefully at some point in the not too distant future I will get the multi-user authentication setup I made for Bob working with this, but I don’t know how long that will take.

4 Likes

Is nginx needed, since TW on node has it’s own ssl certificate system? Having to learn an entirely new set of software skills just to accomplish one task is … frustrating.

1 Like

Here nginx is for access control and the point of what I made is that you follow the instructions and don’t have to learn anything, just follow the instructions.

As another project, I have most of a system set up that uses nodejs and has a much more sophisticated acess control setup, but it isn’t a small project.
I have a script almost working that sets everything up for you after you make the droplet.

2 Likes