Using talk.tiddlywiki quotes elsewhere especially in TiddlyWiki?

Can you assist addressing this Idea I raised in meta?

Here

I wanted to add this functionality, but there have been some severe problems with the whole TW drag and drop functions with v5.3.0

Eg:

1. Issues with dnd tiddlers between different browsers. Eg: Chrome <-> FireFox
  2. dnd with chrome android and so on.

Those problems should be fixed with v5.3.1 – So we could have a closer look at this functions again.

1. There are still some problems that we introduced somewhere around 5.1.23 with the browser bookmarks. But for that one we do have a workaround. See: fix drag and drop from chrome-like browsers to FireFox by pmario · Pull Request #7622 · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub which contains the fixes 1) and 2) but 3) still needs some investigation.

With the native drag & drop API we have to deal with some really “nasty” browser quirks. Especially since we also should care about TW backwards compatibility.

This quote “thing” is discourse specific with their own javascript.

The native dataTransfer object of the browser does not contain this info. It only contains an HTML-snippet and a plain/text snippet if copied over to TW.

Copy / pasting the quoted text above will create this $:/Import tiddler. ATM there is no way to detect, if the pasted info came from discourse or any other site.

It should be possible to analyse code snippets of a text/plain format that have a TW header that starts with a title-field. If we detect text/plain only and the first line contains title: xxx we would be able to add a second import option as a tiddler.

I think that’s the best we could do, with the info available in the dataTransfer object.

title: test tiddler
my-field: a b c 

some text

@pmario thanks for your considered replies, it is also interesting how you look at it a somewhat different way. Dealing with these difference would make a stronger solution.

• On my part I thought about writing a tiddler lets say on “using functions”, then I find some content I like and want to include in my tiddler. I select it on talk.tiddlywiki and select quote, it opens a new reply, I can optionally type a personal note then copy the lot. Jump over to my tiddler and paste. Typically, I would discard the temporary reply.
  • I may add more content of save. But the point is the quote is now inside my tiddler, and I want it to be parsed and represented, making use of the information available, such as a link to there the content I quoted comes from.
  • Already if a quote included code tiddlywiki handles the back ticks.

I see. That’s a request to create a custom parser rule, that knows how to deal with discourse specific quote markup [quote="TW_Tones, post:4, topic:7734"]. So rendered with TW it should create a link back to the talk-URL.

Yes, and ideally honor the markdown that may exist inside the Quote.

• Perhaps it could be treated like @Mohammad’s section editor, or we could provide support to excise it to a markdown tiddler.