Using ChatGPT to generate wikitext

I’m experimenting with using ChatGPT to write wikitext, as I see others are doing as well. Was wondering how this is progressing for folks. Are you finding it gets better over time, or still requires some correction and intervention?

Here is the lastest of my results (in wikitext).

I have gotten it to write json files nicely (though relatively brief), and to self-correct as noted in other threads when it has incorrect format. Here, I ask it to use the <$reveal> structure.

Any other successes or failures at this very basic level of one-tiddler-at-a-time approach?

Thanks,

//steve.

1. “Tell me about some universities in Utica, NY”
  2. write that in wikitext
  3. write that so tiddlywiki will understand
  4. tiddlywiki writes links like [[Mohawk Valley Community College|https://www.mvcc.edu/]]. use that format to write this output
  5. now, add a brief summary of each of the institutions, mentioning the number of students and number of faculty, for each. embed the summary inside a <$reveal> structure so that the reader would click on the name of the institution to reval the summary, and to find the link
  6. here is the documentation on reveal:
<$button set="$:/state/SampleReveal1" setTo="show">Show me</$button>
<$button set="$:/state/SampleReveal1" setTo="hide">Hide me</$button>

<$reveal type="match" state="$:/state/SampleReveal1" text="show">

! This is the revealed content
 And this is some text

</$reveal>.

please rewrite, noting that the tiddler needs buttons. label the buttons with tbhe name of the college

Here are the results of the sixth iteration, which are pretty good!

//steve.

! Chat with ChatGPT

''User:'' Tell me about some universities in Utica, NY.

''ChatGPT:'' Utica is home to several universities and colleges. Here are a few of them:

<$button set="$:/state/MVCC" setTo="show">Mohawk Valley Community College</$button>
<$reveal type="match" state="$:/state/MVCC" text="show">
    Mohawk Valley Community College is a two-year public community college with approximately 6,500 students and 200 faculty members. The college offers over 90 degree and certificate programs.
    More information: [[https://www.mvcc.edu/|Website]]
    <$button set="$:/state/MVCC" setTo="hide">Hide</$button>
</$reveal>

<$button set="$:/state/UticaCollege" setTo="show">Utica College</$button>
<$reveal type="match" state="$:/state/UticaCollege" text="show">
    Utica College is a private institution with approximately 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students and 280 faculty members. The college offers over 50 undergraduate majors, 30 graduate programs, and several online programs.
    More information: [[https://www.utica.edu/|Website]]
    <$button set="$:/state/UticaCollege" setTo="hide">Hide</$button>
</$reveal>

<$button set="$:/state/SUNYPoly" setTo="show">SUNY Polytechnic Institute</$button>
<$reveal type="match" state="$:/state/SUNYPoly" text="show">
    SUNY Polytechnic Institute is a public research university with approximately 2,700 undergraduate and graduate students and over 300 faculty members. The university offers over 50 undergraduate and graduate programs in areas such as engineering, business, and computer science.
    More information: ``link removed for talk.tiddlywiki.org``
    <$button set="$:/state/SUNYPoly" setTo="hide">Hide</$button>
</$reveal>

<$button set="$:/state/HamiltonCollege" setTo="show">Hamilton College</$button>
<$reveal type="match" state="$:/state/HamiltonCollege" text="show">
    Hamilton College is a private liberal arts college with approximately 1,900 students and 200 faculty members. The college offers over 50 areas of study, including majors, minors, and concentrations in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
    More information:  ``link removed for talk.tiddlywiki.org``
    <$button set="$:/state/HamiltonCollege" setTo="hide">Hide</$button>
</$reveal>

<$button set="$:/state/ColgateUniversity" setTo="show">Colgate University</$button>
<$reveal type="match" state="$:/state/ColgateUniversity" text="show">
    Colgate University is a private liberal arts college with approximately 3,000 students and 300 faculty members. The college offers over 55 majors and minors in fields such as the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and interdisciplinary programs.
    More information:  ``link removed for talk.tiddlywiki.org``
    <$button set="$:/state/ColgateUniversity" setTo="hide">Hide</$button>
</$reveal>

Each of these institutions offers a unique educational experience, so be sure to do your research and find the one that best fits your needs and interests!
2 Likes

@stevesuny … Can you please check the formatting of your post?

1 Like

all fixed! sorry about that…

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/group/autonomous-systems-group-robotics/articles/chatgpt-for-robotics/

In simillar way, in the future, a custom alternative layout can be generated by inputting a natural language description. So TiddlyWiki can have different UI in one click.

But ChatGPT can only generate things based on our online discussion examples before 2021, so latest features like alternative layout and parametered transclusion may not get help from it…

No, it is still at same capabilities. Main problem is that wiki-text has no implementable standard. Yes, its described in TW documentation, but it has no linter rules or concept standard as another language (for example some markdown versions). But it is good idea and I can make it if no other people works on it.

I think GPT is work with example (few-shot learning) , so apart from syntax, examples are more important.

Yes, exactly. AI can grab syntaxes from conceptual standard, so it is mostly example text with syntax examples. And this isnt on github in readable format.

Explanatory: On github may be some sample document (for example wikitext syntax from tiddlywiki.com) but in plaintext with self-explanatory name and extension. Now its only in HTML from static generated wiki content or in TID or JSON file.

If that would be true nobody, not even Jeremy could have created TiddlyWiki. … I guess what you mean is that there is no generalized syntax description using BNF format or something similar. …

That’s true. But I’m not sure if that would help an AI system too much. They learn by examples.

For everything about widgets and HTML we can use the HTML syntax specification and their parameter parse rules. It should be pretty much the same rules.

TiddlyWiki wikitext basics have been implemented in September 2004.

TW WikiText v5 is described at: https://tiddlywiki.com/#WikiText

The initial version of Markdown has been published in March 2004

Initial markdown is described at: Daring Fireball: Markdown

TW filters are described at Filter Syntax using railroad diagrams for most of the elements. They may need to be updated, but if someone can read them, it is a normalized description that defines an “implementable standard”.

Not sure if they make sense for an AI, but for humans they are OK-ish.

IMO not the best example. As you wrote … there are “some” markdown versions, which are not really compatible with each other, which causes all sorts of problems.

Above is the link to the initial markdown version from 2004

Here are the latest attempts to standardize MD … CommonMark specification, which basically is a list of examples, without any formal syntax definitions. Latest version is from 2021 (First version 0.5 from 2014-10-25)

TW documentation is the same thing but with separated tiddlers. See WikiText

The whole TW UI is at GitHub in plain text: TiddlyWiki5/core/ui at master · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

Every edition available for TW is at GH in plaintext at: TiddlyWiki5/editions at master · Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 · GitHub

So there should be plenty of plain text examples to learn from. … The only question is, if it was important enough to be used for training.

If we return to the OT title “Using ChatGPT to generate wikitext” I think this demonstrates a weakness in the current terminology we use.

• I think WikiText perhaps should relate only to WikiText markup excluding macros and widgets and the soon to arrive additional functionality.

What the OT and this discussion is I believe asking for however, is more about what we may call “TiddlyWiki Script” (Wiki Script or TWScript) for short?, rather than Wiki text. Also “TiddlyWikiScript” TWS for short.

• Noting that WikiText is a subset of “TiddlyWiki Script”

Thus the OT would be

Using ChatGPT to generate “TiddlyWiki Script”

Ask ChatGPT, “What is tiddlywiki script”

TiddlyWiki is a non-linear personal web notebook that you can use to store and organize information. It is built using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and allows you to create and edit content in your browser without needing a server or content management system.

TiddlyWiki includes a powerful scripting language called TiddlyWikiScript (TWScript), which is a simplified version of JavaScript. TWScript allows you to automate tasks and customize the behavior of your TiddlyWiki, such as adding new functionality, creating custom macros and filters, and extending the built-in features of the platform.

TWScript is used extensively in TiddlyWiki to create custom plugins, themes, and widgets, and can be used to build complex applications on top of the platform. It also provides a range of built-in functions and operators that you can use to manipulate data, control flow, and interact with the user interface.

Overall, TiddlyWikiScript is a powerful scripting language that allows you to extend the functionality of TiddlyWiki in many different ways, and is an essential tool for anyone who wants to get the most out of this innovative platform.

This would be a useful destinctions because because we may want to ask ChatGPT in relation to an answer.

"to generate “TiddlyWiki WikiText”

or

"to generate “TiddlyWiki Markup/down”

Given the above text I asked “Reformat as tiddlywiki wikitext” and it gave a usable result;

! TiddlyWikiScript

TiddlyWikiScript is a scripting language used in [[TiddlyWiki]], a non-linear personal web notebook. 

It is a simplified version of JavaScript that can be used to automate tasks and customize the behavior of TiddlyWiki. 

TiddlyWikiScript provides built-in functions and operators for manipulating data, controlling flow, and interacting with the user interface. 

Some examples of what TiddlyWikiScript can be used for include:

* Creating custom macros and filters
* Adding new functionality to TiddlyWiki
* Extending the built-in features of TiddlyWiki
* Building complex applications on top of TiddlyWiki

Overall, TiddlyWikiScript is a powerful scripting language that enables users to get the most out of TiddlyWiki, and to create personalized and customized experiences that meet their specific needs.

If you ask “what are the elements of tiddlywiki scripting” you get a nonsense answer, this in part due to out lax use of terminology in the past.

Hmmmm, but this is same problem. I wont say that there isnt well described wikitext, but wikitext is described in many places with many different thinks.

Solution: On TW main github repo can be example document (stand alone document, not as JSON part of big file with whole documentation) with syntax guide and transposed to HTML output. My english is not so good to detail describe differences between documentation and syntax example, sorry, I believe you understand me.

Just an update or clarification for ChatGPT output to tiddlywiki

If you install the core plugin;
Markdown: Markdown parser based on markdown-it
$:/plugins/tiddlywiki/markdown

Then create a markdown tiddler, you can simply click on the copy icon in ChatGPT results, which is in markdown, and paste into your text field.

• On save, the markdown is parsed and reads/displayes as it did on ChatGPT
  • Transcluding the tiddler will take this into account