UPlanet : a planet full of TW's

Decentralized network of TiddyWiki hosters

Peer-to-peer, distributed, tamper-proof and uncensored.

Over the last few years, we’ve been developing a storage and sharing system based on IPFS (https://ipfs.tech). We have launched UPlanet application, a digital model for recording and linking our information to the planet.

The core application is TiddlyWiki

Then. The blockchain mesh at each 0.01° sector of the planet enables the installation of data sources (TW) and the collection of surrounding information. Consisting of a suite of “companion” open-source softwares, interconnected with any other blockchains, it forms the basis of an entirely Open Source distributed information system!

The main difference with Web2.0:

It doesn’t have a “login / password” but a “public” and a “private” Key

First ones are made using “email” plus “8 digit code” (ask if you need stronger secrets)… Then to ease key management, we encapsulate it in a QRCode encrypted by a 4 digit PIN code.
QmdefJHhesuDZmcNYL2BNXXmktRiALZovNguJ5n5cQ8TA8

It is used in order to activate “REC” for your TW you must give or remove the key from your actual Astroport IPFS gateway. This is done through LOGIN link on UPlanet front page by scanning G1Card “AstroID” you received by email after registration

UPlanet
Documentation is on the go…

Each planet sector you plug your email sprout a TW.
UMap unifies all TW’s in the surrounding sectors (and more…).

This is an open source project with many possible extensions
After the prototype stage, we are going to develop various services…

First service : “free as a free beer” distributed TW hosting community.

Now the TW template in use contains the minimum Tiddlers and Plugins to connect with UPlanet App. Until we could use a compatible asymmetric crypto lib inside TW, we made $:/plugins/astroport/lasertag to add “symbolic” email signatures to Tiddlers, indicating the “copy chain” it follows.

We start developing $:/plugins/astroport/lightbeams for TW to publish and be able to retrieve RSS feeds from one another… It needs more testing and debug…
Welcome to TiddlyWiki developpers wishing to join the team.

Now we reach proof of concept stage, you can record TW on
:globe_with_meridians: UPlanet https://qo-op.com :globe_with_meridians:

Hope you love it, and like to make it better together.

Ask questions…
Maybe submit merge request and track issues.

6 Likes

UPlanet it is not a simple TW hosting.
It is also a TW co-writing tiddlers blockchain in each 0.1°, 1° and 10° sectors of the planet.

It makes a symmetric distributed information system synchronized with the Earth’s rotation, it divides the planet into sectors, regions, managed by a swarm of hosting stations

UPlanet is a Crypto Solar Punk redesign of our Internet

2 Likes

I’m not sure I get this.
I’m guessing from the lack of response I’m not alone.

Apologies if this has been explained before.

What is the globe for? Why does it zoom in? Does it matter where I apply for a visa?

Is that just a in context way for signing up?

What am I then signing up for?

Crypto seems to have a bad rep at the moment. What’s the need for it in this context?

What’s a g1 card?

Why does the page look so off-putting?!

Hope you can help :slight_smile:

In reply to @Ste_W , @papiche please correct me, if I am wrong I am just writing down my understanding:
The globe give you the possibility to generate a crypto-key that can be localized - for example if you want to link it to a local product. You can as well generate an anonymous key in the ocean.
The digital currency g1 is linked to the project. It is blockchain but shall not be used for speculation but for local regional payments. A part of it is generated by hosting ipfs-nodes (which seems far more usefull than the bitcoin strategy of backing the currency by energy spilled to solve cryptoriddles)
As I understand the wiki is a sort of digital ID which can be used to aggregate information based on crypto-key-tags?!

I would say the design of astroport is retrofuturist, it reminds me of the beginning of the 90s, when the web was created by crazy idealists and seemed to open a window to a future in the bright light of informational freedon and truth.

Ok.

I’m a little closer to understanding. :+1:

What does it bring to the TW table?
What are the advantages of ipfs?
Does ipfs need a block chain?

By signing up am I torrent like becoming a host on the network?

How does earning/ mining the bitcoin work?
You say it’s partly on the hosting, what’s the rest?

Has anyone here actually signed up and used it?

Hi @Ste_W you better ask @papiche for more secure information.
I signed up in to test cooperation/coowriting in the wiki, it saves for free but so far I am still puzzled with the mechanimsm and how to use it efficiently.
@papiche has invested a lot of skill and work but I think the cooperation mechanisms yet have to be designed more efficiently - but this a problem shared with all TW projects.

1 Like

Thanks for the input.
Just trying to work it out:)

It just feels like a topic that should be generating lots of discussion but isn’t. I suspect that’s because a lot of people have bounced off the sign up process. I certainly did.

1 Like

Me. Toooooo many times. Total time-sink.

I am nervous about things I dont at least have an understanding of the architecture, has unexplained jargon (even if I know it) and goes strait to links I have to respond to.

4 Likes

i bounce pretty hard off of systems i don’t fully understand when i see crypto/blockchain is involved as it brings into question the (financial/value-driven) motives of the project and the (environmental/social) impact of even interacting with the system. especially so if i can not really parse what i get out of the system as unless “everybody is using it”, there is no local network and it is just TW behind layers of “security”/trust (if i am reading it correctly). blockchain tech seems like extreme overkill for most systems it is used in with the reasoning being “financial systems need extreme security so you can’t steal people’s stuff” which doesn’t seem to be valid for this project… sorry if this seems harsh, just trying to put into words my hesitation. i’d appreciate some more input from @papiche though!

4 Likes

You’re right. I am a kid from the 70’s, from the firsts Internet inhabitant and builder. I became network and system administrator, graduated “applied mathematics engineer”. Facing the existing systems, I’ve chosen GNU/Linux from the beginning, always preferring what is “Libre” from what is “Proprietary”. I need to be aware about where and by who my data is stored and processed.

I am afraid that TCP/IP network is not capable of being a real information system. This topology of massive interconnection can look like brain cells firing information from everywhere to everywhere. This is a malfunction we call “epilepsy”.

This situation is leading to the Internet we are actually experimenting. An outlaw cyberspace territory where Apps, PC and Smartphones are chained to “DATA centers”. Every piece of data being spread everywhere, but with a high need of better coherence and a high pressure of being captured. Freedom and Security is engaged. Libre is the answer.

G1 is a mathematical proposal and experimental blockchain of a new coin creation protocol. This is based on the scientific paper : « Relative Theory of Money v2.718 », and been “solved” by distributed cryptographic “Web Of Trust” inspired by PGP ceremony.

I was a witness of the cryptographic evolution. My first reaction was disinterest but a taste of a land of privacy.

The computer i am using to serve this App to my browser looks like located in Amsterdam
https://iplookup.flagfox.net/?host=talk.tiddlywiki.org

Data is certainly stored in a database, where my login is registered through an email. Most of us have multiple emails and login into many Apps. Every piece of it being protected by the password of an administrator detaining root access to the machine. Security is based on being confident that this administrator is able to protect or data. And that data is not spoofed while being distributed.

This is where the crypto space is and PGP is for. Then IPFS appears. Addressing through content, data has no location anymore, it flows where it needs to. And access protocol is to be chained with data. And every key have to be connected to a primary key. TiddlyWiki was suggested by a friend to get stored in a key.

The best is to keep the key with you. Or share it with a friend operating it for you. This is the purpose of UPlanet : a planet full of TW's it is a “blockchain educative engine”. It consists in a series of bash scripts getting commands from Tiddlers to create key derivation and state dependent actions, “ethereum like smart contract” can be stored in Tiddlers in TW in IPFS with bash code in it, but has to be executed in a trusted network. This is where G1 (and PGP) WoT are used.

The fundamental raising of trust comes from cross signatures on similar documents.
Collected by a third party key being ties of trust. This transfer of sovereignty contains the weakness of this strength of cohesion.

Crypto is often related to “COIN”, and many of them are scam or community valued. None of them are providing equality access in space and time and benefit from DU(G1) calculation.

The globe is providing geographic key mapping, it has 5 zoom levels establishing “third party keys” mesh receiving Tiddlers from their defined area.

@JanJo entered an email on UPlanet (GPS tiddler)

https://ipfs.asycn.io/ipns/12D3KooWFMNVxq1XF6xWzsiydHF57qAbaY3dvftM5pKwFcKQYPd5#GPS

It is located on 0.01° slice : UMap_45.44_-4.45

It is part of tiddlers collected by 0.1° USector_45.4_-4.4

Which publish a “common TW:wink:
In case of Tiddler title conflict TW owners are invited to merge or fork.

The symbol of knowing someone is based on Tiddler “Dessin de EMAIL” signatures.
Like your personal NFT you can change it to notify you friends that you moved and control who you keep signatures on you.

All of this is still a “work in progress”…
It will be used this year as an educational playground for a “scripting and blockchain” course.

This is the basic principle, in Crypto any key is a wallet.

G1Card is a “paper wallet” version. It consists in a QRCode containing private key protected by a renewable “password”, it allow owner to lend this key to a Terminal verifying the password hash is correct.

AstroID tiddler is one of it. You can use it on Astroport - TW - LOGIN / LOGOUT to lend or remove your TW key on the “astroport” node you connect to.

Because as I am not a JavaScript framework user, and everything is done old school “jQuery Ajax” style with a lot of copy/paste code and a few arrangements only…
This could be enhanced by adding interfaces to G1 prefixed Tags Tiddlers export (produced by key derivation). I prefer to get help for that than continue this “massacre”. This is what i made so far … showing up “G1CopierYoutube” tags from fred@astroport.com — Capsule Interplanétaire Astroport

And because, As TiddlyWiki is fully programmable, I wonder if making different TW templates for it wouldn’t be better… It could be delivering template for each "Umap language… So much to do.

In both evolution scenario, my learning curve is steep and work harder…
Hope this discussion will help

2 Likes

Thanks for the full reply. I’ll have a more carefull read later, though I’m not sure I’ll understand all of it! More questions may follow!

UPlanet_Mesh_KeyGrid

Now to get published on planet surface grid, a Tiddler needs to get more than 5 signatures. Any copied tiddler will be pinned and all tagged email signatures are optionally receiving “Ğ1” coins (see Duniter.org project)

This is TW for Sector 0.0_0.0 which collects tiddlers from TWs registered on 0.0* 0.0* Umaps

We are planning to include langchain LLM models processing to condense information in needed places… Before it happens, you can already have free TiddlyWiki hosting and try to start sharing Tiddlers in a collaborative manner. Contact if you’d like some coins and try it “for real”.

@papiche I do find this very interesting, but I am not sure how much it is my imagination and what the full reality of its use is, the costs and obligations that may come about If I use it, along with the value it will have to me and the community.

Some observations that you may be able to clarify about its end use?

I admit I have not tried to use it yet, but it seems unless I can “wrap my mind around it” it will be difficult for me to do.

• Perhaps if you had descriptions and instructions designed for people who are not aware of IPFS, the place a block chain fits here, and the authentication has, where does the data reside in place or moving, what is the granularity, what can be private, conditional private or public and how to tell the difference etc…
  • Then we need to describe this from the perspective of a moderately experienced TiddlyWiki designer/User not simply developer audiences, so we can map things like the core, our tiddlers, the load process etc… to this alternate platform.

Without going into details, it seems this may fit an idea I have that could provide a new distributed solution, however since I can’t fully understand this platform it is hard to be sure.

I would be looking for

• Distributed data so it is available if I am off line, on a per tiddlers and or wiki basis
  • The ability to say who has access to something, on a per tiddlers and or wiki basis
  • Be able to withdraw access later, on a per tiddlers and or wiki basis

It seems to me the requirement for unique tiddler names is a game stopper unless this is only limited to shared tiddlers, not all tiddlers needed to construct a wiki. Even if they must be unique, hiding this behind the process, so tiddlers can appear to have any name within a wiki, even if they are qualified by another value such as the wikiname, and before sharing.

@Ste_W Thank you for your interest and questions! It’s great to see curiosity and a desire to understand the project. Let me address some of your points:

1. Concerns about Crypto/Blockchain:

• I understand the hesitation around crypto and blockchain technologies, especially considering their environmental and social impact. UPlanet aims to provide an alternative and decentralized approach, more aligned with the early ideals of the internet.
  2. Retrofuturist Design:

• The design of Astroport is indeed retrofuturist, reminiscent of the early days of the internet when it was driven by ideals of freedom and truth. The choice of technology reflects a preference for open-source and libre solutions.
  3. G1 and Crypto Reputation:

• G1 is a mathematical proposal and experimental blockchain, emphasizing equality in access, space, and time. The reputation of crypto is often tied to coins, but UPlanet seeks to use it for a different purpose, promoting equality.
  4. The Globe and Geographic Mapping:

• The globe provides a way to generate a cryptographic key that can be localized. It establishes a mesh of third-party keys based on geographic regions. This mapping is crucial for creating a distributed network.
  5. UPlanet as an Educational Engine:

• UPlanet serves as a blockchain educative engine, offering practical experience in scripting and blockchain concepts. It’s an ongoing project, and improvements are part of the learning process.
  6. AstroID ZenCard and Wallets:

• The AstroID is a paper wallet version, containing a QRCode with a private key protected by a password. It serves as a basic principle in the crypto space where any key is a wallet.
  7. Page Design and Development:

• The design may seem off-putting due to the use of traditional jQuery Ajax and a preference for libre solutions. There’s an acknowledgment that improvements can be made, and contributions from the community are welcome.
  8. Mesh Key Grid:

• Tiddlers need more than 5 signatures to get published on the planet surface grid. The mesh key grid ensures a level of trust and reliability in the information shared.

Tiddler “same tittle” conflict only happens for TW registered in the same “0.1° Sector”

You can have a look at default 0.0 location sector.

The place where most conflict should happens :wink:
If it happens each will receive an email asking for “cross signing” by adding same tag emails list to tiddler.

To help getting a consensus, a meeting “VDO.Ninja” has been added to UPLANET and each slice sectors… Development is going on and beta testers welcome.

If you have further questions or if there’s a specific aspect you’d like more clarification on, feel free to ask.

1 Like