Upgrade from TiddlyWiki Classic to TiddlyWiki5, compatibility issues with text format

Hello, as said in the title I upgrade from an older version to the latest version.
I can’t find what version the old wiki was, it was made in october 2013 and never updated since, I just recived it as documentation at my job.

I upgraded the wiki via web without problems and everything it’s working fine, but in every Tiddly there is a banner with “The text it’s from Tiddlywiki classic and not compatible with version 5…”
Do you know a way to rewrite all the text from the old version to new?
I can edit it but I should replace close to 10 years of
{{{ text }}} with text to keep a readable layout, as it was in the older wiki.

I understanded by reading the forum that everything older than version 5 it’s “classic” and the it changed. I’m in search of an automated way to adapt the texts.

Sorry for my english and my strange explanation, but I just recived this awesome tool from a retired colleague and I don’t want to loose all this knowledge that he gifted me.

Welcome!
Depending on how many content you have I personally would stay with the classic version and only create new stuff in V5. I did create an overview what is different. But I’m on mobile at the moment. So I’ll post later again.

Thank you.

Since a lot of stuff will stay the same and I will just tweak it or add sometimes new stuff, I thought the new interface was easier and cleaner.

That 's the reason I updated it. If you say that there is no automatic way to fix all the old text into the new one, I will just use the old as you say and write on the new every time I can.

clean wikitext conversion from classic to TW5 seems to (still) be an unsolved problem (but probably not unsolvable), from my own research.

However, this TW5 plugin will correctly parse & display TW classic wikitext in your new wiki and may be sufficient for your needs: https://tiddlywiki.com/plugins/tiddlywiki/tw2parser/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Ftiddlywiki%2Ftw2parser

2 Likes

Thank you very much.
I’ll try it ASAP.

Hello,
I installed the plugin and the whole wiki it’s now displayed correctly even if it’s formatted in the old style.

Thank you very much.

1 Like