Update Tiddlywiki in Bob.exe

Hello everyone.

I’ve been using Bob.exe with Tiddlywiki for several years and I’m really happy with how it works.
But from what I’ve seen on your page it hasn’t been updated since last year.
Can I somehow update it so that if I create a new wiki it will be generated with the most recent version of Tiddlywiki?
I have seen on the Ooteck page that there is a way to do it for manual installations, but it is not my case.
I would appreciate it if you could tell me the procedure to do it if someone has already managed to do it.

Thank you so much.

You could open a bobwiki TW and drag a newer version of TW onto it. This will import all the newer parts of the updated version into your bobwiki. Obviously be very careful with this, make backups, etc if you are doing it to an existing wiki.

I did this and currently run my bobwikis at 5.2.7

Also rather than bob.exe and your can add the bob plugin to the latest version but it may be untested.

Hello.
I have tried what you told me in your message but I can’t get it to work.
What I do is drag a TW with the latest version onto a TW with Bob.exe. Import a few files and restart everything. But when I open it again, the version that appears is still the old one.
However, if I import the Core tiddler again it won’t let me since the version I have is the same as the one already installed…
I don’t know if I’m doing it right like this, or if I’ve skipped some steps…

Hello.

But that would mean having to install TW in Node, right? and from there install Bob as a plugin.
The last time I tried something with Node I ended up getting really messed up…

I’m sorry I forgot the bob.exe was separate from the node version since I’ve only ever used the node one. That’s the one I was using with those directions. I assume the reason it didn’t work for you is the format of bob.exe being packaged as a ‘closed unit’.

I will say that the biggest thing I like about node is that the tiddlers are all in their own directory so if something gets messed up you still have them, whereas in a single file format you could lose them.

edit: it looks like the exe just starts a node server for you. When I get on a Windows computer later (on a chromebook now) I’ll check it out I’ve always been interested in that format.

Hello.
Yes, the Bob.exe format actually makes everything more automatic. In the end it creates a directory of folders and each wiki is stored in its corresponding folder with its tiddlers stored individually.

This was the reason why about three years ago I switched to this format, tired of the fact that from time to time due to some error, sometimes my own, the TW ended up spoiling and I lost all the information.

If you can check if it fails for you too, I would appreciate it, so I will know that I only have to fight to install TW in Node without Bob.exe.

Thank you so much.

Hello digitalap3.

In the end I managed to install Tiddlywiki in Node and Bob, but I have only managed to install it up to version 5.2.7. If I do it with version 5.3.1 it gives me errors, whether I install this version from the beginning or if I update from a previous version.

I assume it’s a compatibility issue of some kind.

I tried your advice of dragging a recent version of Tiddlywiki over an older version but it didn’t work for me, no files mattered.

1 Like

life has been interesting lately, so I have been away from TiddlyWiki development, I will try and get an updated verision of BobEXE out soon.

6 Likes

Hello inmysocks!
I hope those things in life that have kept you away from Tiddlywiki are good things…
I take this opportunity to thank you for this wonderful program that you have created. It helped me get out of the chaos I had at the beginning with Tiddlywiki.
Thank you very much and my best wishes to you.

Good to see you here @inmysocks, I hope you are well.