[tw5] Tentative project on deck: ASCII Art Anywhere Machine

Kind of like BASIC Anywhere Machine, but for ASCII Art. All built on, of course, TiddlyWiki.

A TiddlyWiki to host the ASCII Drawing engine, a BASIC Anywhere Machine program.

Try out the ASCII Draw program.

The ASCII Draw program keeps 1 drawing in local storage. Go into that web page, draw a little, close down the web page, and your drawing will be there for you again next time you go to the web page. (Unless you tell the program you want to start a new drawing.

Instead of setting up the program to store multiple drawings in local storage (I’m no fan of local storage except for temporary storage), I’ll be creating ASCII Art Anywhere Machine to host ASCII Draw (like an IDE for drawing), and also store the drawings. Local storage acting as the communication interface between the BASIC program and the host TiddlyWiki.

The TiddlyWiki, as the “file manager” for the drawings, will be like a digital art gallery, to display the art in various ways, including slideshows.

And now I’m thinking ASCII Art animation. Cool.

Too many interests, not enough hours in a day…

2 Likes

Early prototype version of ASCII Art Anywhere Machine, as I figure out architectural stuff.

Good time to check it out while there are only a few tiddlers involved.

1 Like

Some good progress.

Last “basic functionality” needed: handling “initiation” of blank Local Storage Items for Brush Strokes when the grid size changes.

Then refactoring code, because I’ve been just about getting the functional components working without concern for pretty, streamlined, performant, non-duplicated.

Then I can get busy with a proper IDE.

Hi, I’m using Brave browser

Version 1.37.116 Chromium: 100.0.4896.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)
, and clicked once on a color, but I can only draw in black it seems.

Oh man, thank-you so much for reporting.

Can you change the brush by pressing a key (for any kind of character) on your keyboard?

Got it. I didn’t know I had to press a key for the brush too. It works fine.

You taking the time to try it gives me a boost, an incentive to at least get a few “how to use” notes in there for now until I get all of the other things lined up.

Thanks, very much appreciated !

Okay, rejigged things a little for the temporary IDE I have going on right now.

Added some “Quick User Guide” notes, and rejigged settings area a little bit.