[tw5] Selectors (and Colorplay) - definitions and examples?

Hey all -

Maybe it’s just me, but when I go to design a palette, I want to see examples of how what I’m doing looks. And I want all the details, so I can see clashes well in advance

To that end, I’m building test-tiddlers (NOT test-tickles!) so I can open them and see what my changes are doing immediately. This is particularly useful for alerts, wikilists, etc.

I’m also building a list of grouped color elements and exactly where you can see them.

I realized this may be useful to everyone else too, and might be particularly helpful in Color Play too.

So, a few questions:

1. Am I right in thinking that all css bits and bobs throughout will be tagged with Stylesheet?
  2. If not, is there another reliable way to ID wherever there’s CSS being applied? (Is it just look at all the css system tiddlers?)
  3. I was planning on JUST gathering Vanilla details - you can tweak theme and palette from there however you like. Make sense?
  4. how do I force some of these less obvious bits, so I can build my tiddlers? wikilists, for example, is totally transparent to me.

And lastly… Hey Mohammad! Would these even be useful to you in Color Play?

I figure as long as I’m doing the work for myself, and got the wild hair up my somewhere, I might as well make it useful to others.

Thanks,
Aidan

1. Am I right in thinking that all css bits and bobs throughout will be tagged with Stylesheet?

There several ways to apply styles:

First (and second) you have separate stylesheet tiddlers, i.e tagged $:/tags/Stylesheet. If it is a normal stylesheet it is of the tiddler type “text/css”. But it can also be a wikitext stylesheet where you can mix css and wikitext. Such stylesheets don’t need a specified tiddler type.
Third you can use a styleblock in the tiddler, i.e .like {th:is}
And fourth, inline styles in the html tag or widget tag, e.g

which you can also use the wikitext variant for, i.e @@color:red; Hello@@ or if you want to apply a class then @@.likeso Hello@@

1. If not, is there another reliable way to ID wherever there’s CSS being applied? (Is it just look at all the css system tiddlers?)

So, given my reply to your first question, as you see it is not super easy to locate every place where css is applied BUT the “proper” way to do things is to use separate stylesheets so this is the main way things are done in the core.

I don’t quite understand your questions 3 and 4.

<:-)

1 Like

Hi Aidan,
I rarely check the Google Group and I may recommend to join us at https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/
Your post is seen on https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/ but no one can reply you there!

Regarding your questions: Mat answered correctly your questions.
I really welcome and encourage you to work on TW palette an area needs more attentions!

There are several good previous work you can find in Color play

Also see Color Play — playing with colors and palettes in TW

Difficulties: There is no few base colors to adjust them and color pallet generate shades accordingly for all UI elements
Dreams: Have a UI with 3-4 or maximum 5 colors to set and see the color scheme
Colorplay is an effort to implement the above dream! It is partially successful.

Lets continue this discussion here: [tw5] Selectors (and Colorplay) - definitions and examples?