[tw5] Populating title from tiddly fields?

Hi!

First post in the community, thrilled! :slight_smile: Discovering TW just now and very excited about it, thanks to everybody who’s making it possible.

I’m using tiddlydesktop with 5.1.22.

I’d like to use TW to write down citations from books, and I would be specifying book’s author and title and citation’s page in tiddly fields (I was thinking to automatically generate the fields with buttons, through tm-new-tiddler or ActionCreateTiddlerWidget).

So: ideally my tiddly title would then automatically be generated as {{author}}, {{title}}: {{pagenumber}} when I save my tiddly. Would this be possible some way? I have been looking into transclusion, more buttons, action widgets and so on but couldn’t really come to a solution.

Another workflow idea would be to write the citations in “subtiddlies” stemming from a book “parent tiddly” which would already contain author and title information, so that also those fields could get automatically filled in the citation subtiddly.

Any idea or help in how to accomplish this? I’m discovering TiddlyWiki just now and not a developer so struggling a bit with these issues!!

Thanks a lot!

Edoardo

Welcome to TW
I think Shiraz Shiraz 2.4.6 — create stylish contents in Tiddlywiki has tools for referencing and citations.
You may get more response if you join us over on the discourse group,
https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/

Ste

G’day Edoardo,

Welcome to TiddlerHood !

TiddlyWiki is ridiculously flexible, and one can get it to do just about anything short of pumping out toast.

It can totally accommodate you, how you think, how your work.

My thoughts: imagine a “create citation” button. You press it, and a nice form appears with fields for you to fill out. You fill the fields, click “Done”, and the tiddler for your citation gets created, including whatever bells and whistles automagically added to whatever fields in that tiddler (example: the “citation” tag.)

Easy thing to do in TiddlyWiki. If you want a sample of what I have in mind, let me know and I can whip something together if somebody hasn’t already beaten me to it, or if you haven’t already found a “canned” solution.

Cheers!

BTW, your post here in Google Groups do appear in the TiddlyTalk discourse forum. So folk see your post.

They are more likely, though, to respond if you post over there. Me, I have a cognitive disability and can’t handle TiddlyTalk at all. So I am quite happy to be of service here.

Here is how I would start things. (Download attached JSON, and drag into TiddlyWiki.com, or any tiddlywiki instance, to import the two tiddlers.)

I tend to prefer using transclusions instead of macros.

But this could be done with a macro instead.

Eventually, I might consider using a macro when I find adding new fields to a citation getting messy. As is with transclusion, I would treat this all as comma-separated value file and always appending new fields at the end. If I found myself preferring the fields in a different order, I’d convert this transclusion setup to a macro setup. Maybe. I’d be more likely to add some goodies to continue using transclusion.

All of that aside, I’m thinking that what we have here so far touches on a bunch of TiddlyWiki things to digest.

Let me know what you think.

I’ve got a whole solution in my head based on this foundation, and it is pretty sweet. Just impossible to explain …

Arg, forgot attachment.

CitationSetupForTw.json (710 Bytes)

1 Like

Don’t mind me as I have way too much fun with this.

Information Systems Analyst and lifetime programmer over here, love programming and I’m pretty methodical (paralysis by analysis, or analysis by paralysis) when it comes to lining up potential requirements

I also never start with “pretty”. Always just functional enough to line up the ducks (potential requirements/workflows, useful features, etc.)

A nice feature might involve reporting on all citations. After importing the tiddlers in the previous attachment, download and import this additional tiddler (attached for reals this time.)

Citations List.tid (381 Bytes)

New version of the template tiddler. After having had a chance to review previous tiddlers in my previous two replies, give this upgrade a look. (download attached and drag into tiddlywiki.com)

I’ve modified the template to show for the book a link to related tiddler if it exists. If tiddler does not exist, then plain text for tiddler title shows, along with a button to create the book tiddler if wanted.

The book tiddler gets created with the book title as tiddler title, and author name added to author field.

Screenshots below.

I’ll try to go quiet now and let you catch up. And let me know if it is worth me proceeding. (Well, publicly. I may go on anyway just for my personal giggles …)

Book’s tiddler doesn’t exist:

After pressing that :heavy_plus_sign: button to create tiddler:

CitationSetupForTw.json (1.69 KB)