[tw5] On using a hierarchical notation for tiddler titles to support better retrieval and naming

Hello,

I’m curious if there is a way to use tiddler titles to create a hierarchy, like the one used in Dendron. For example, tiddler title “work” is parent of both the tiddlers “work.journal” and “work.research”. And “work.journal” is a parent of “work.journal.2021_11_30” and so on. That is, a hierarchical information structure is created by just following the ‘dot notation’ naming convention.

I know i can use tags, but that is cumbersome. I currently manually title each tiddler by using the dot notation for tiddler titles, but some optimization for creating and searching tiddlers would be helpful.

For example, typing “work.journal” in tiddler title shows all child tiddlers, so I don’t have to think about the information structure. Similarly, retrieval be quick, e.g., typing work.journal.* or work.research.* would show all their children.

Thanks!
Sid

Hi,
We call this type of tiddler titles “namespace” and we use it for core tiddlers.

The first TW namespace uses $:/ prefix for all system tiddlers. eg: $:/temp/, $:/state/ and so on.

There is a macro named: tree-macro used like: <<tree prefix:"work" separator:".">> … that should work for you.

See the docs about the tree-macro

have fun!
mario