[tw5] New journal tiddler with pre-defined fields

Greetings!

I would like to automatically add fields when I start a journal tiddler. I’ve searched and don’t find an easy way to do this. Some of the comments I’ve read seems overly complicated and is over my head. I only dabble in the behind-the-scenes code, my level being “tinkerer.” Looking at some of conversations and piecing together things, however, it seems to me that I could simply add text in the $action-sendmessage command within $:/core/ui/Actions/new-journal.

Now, I suspect this will cause a visceral reaction throughout the community–shock and howls of outrage. I imagine you’d want me to clone some shadow tiddler or other and update or entirely rewrite others; but, I mean, if I’m careful and test it out first, is that not a solution? It seems to work on my test tiddler. Will I break something else or cause some other major issue that I’m not aware of?

Below is my proposed change to $:/core/ui/Actions/new-journal with the simple addition of the following:

field1=“F1 Default” field=“F2 Default” field3=""

\define get-tags() $(textFieldTags)$ $(tagsFieldTags)$
<$vars journalTitleTemplate={{$:/config/NewJournal/Title}} textFieldTags={{$:/config/NewJournal/Tags}} tagsFieldTags={{$:/config/NewJournal/Tags!!tags}} journalText={{$:/config/NewJournal/Text}}>
<$wikify name=“journalTitle” text="""<$macrocall $name=“now” format=<>/>""">
<$reveal type=“nomatch” state=<> text="">
<$action-sendmessage $message=“tm-new-tiddler” title=<> tags=<> text={{{ [get[]] }}}/>
</$reveal>
<$reveal type=“match” state=<> text="">
<$action-sendmessage $message=“tm-new-tiddler” title=<> tags=<> field1=“F1 Default” field=“F2 Default” field3="" text=<>/>
</$reveal>
</$wikify>
</$vars>

Is there a better way to do this? An easier way than cloning and rewriting code?

Thoughts, recriminations?

Thanks much!

Just to close this out. The following link seems to answer my question and affirm that it’s not a terrible thing to change $:/core/ui/Actions/new-journal (although it references “new-tiddler” instead).

I will direct my further inquiries to the https://talk.tiddlywiki.org site. Thank you, Mohammed, for sending me there!