[tw5] Modifying the TiddlyWiki save button for different abilities

It is really easy to modify the current save button’s appearance to that it works for various abilities.

The attached JSON file contains one small CSS tiddler. Download that and drag into any TiddlyWiki to try it out.

As-is, the CSS is setup to accommodate my disability and a friend’s disability.

• My friend is colour blind (challenge distinguishing between black and red. So this CSS eliminates the red in favour of blinking
  • I have an attention-regulation disability (challenge staying focused, as in easily distracted, and challenge with hyper-focus, as in impossible to get my attention; I’m always dealing with either one or the other; a hyper-focused state is when I feel in a peaceful state), so subtle colours and blinking are the right mix for me.
    For those of us hampered by disabilities, what works for the majority of the world can make some of us very dysfunctional.

And for those of us who are rendered dysfunctional, the needed accommodations can vary wildly.

Creating helpful accommodations can be pretty quick and easy, as the attached CSS demonstrates.

Whatever annoys you interface-wise, even if only slightly annoying, know that relief can be really quick and really easy.

Save Button CSS.json (504 Bytes)

BTW, the point here is not to provide you with my preference for look/feel of the TiddlyWiki save button.

The point is to provide you with one possible starting point to customise the Save button to accommodate varied abilities.

To see how the sample CSS works as-is, click on the following link to open the BASIC Anywhere IDE (then just tap a couple of characters into the editor) : Charlie'sBASIC Anywhere Machine — BASIC Programming Powered by TiddlyWiki

Animation is the best way to get anybody’s attention. There are all kinds of options other than blinking to get the attention of somebody with any kind of disability (attention-regulation, colour-blindness, seizures, etc.).

A visual cue that something needs to be done, it has to be easily noticeable yet not annoyingly distracting. So easily customised is key !