[tw5] Can I save tiddlywiki without re-downloading it?

I started using tiddlywiki maybe two hours ago. Its nice but is there any way to save the wiki without redownloading it? I am using edge and am on fedora os.

I don’t want to use any cloud. I want to encrypt it and push it to my github repo.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

" Its nice but is there any way to save the wiki without redownloading it?"

Yes. Without download it restructures itself on “Save” (generally).

BUT IF you want an actual file to reload later you will need to save it to disk at some point otherwise it will evaporate if you close the browser.

TT

The default TiddlyWiki saver uses the browser’s built-in “download a file” process, which includes general security handling to prevent unwanted “stealth payloads” from being installed on your system. One major advantage of the “download saver” is that it doesn’t require any special setup. This makes it possible to save TiddlyWiki on almost all modern browsers, as long as they permit downloading. Note that in this instance, “downloading” also applies when you are viewing a locally-stored TiddlyWiki that is already on your computer.

The download saver is also useful because it usually can be configured in your browser’s settings so that it will always ask you to choose where to save the file instead of using the default “Downloads” folder location. When the “file/folder chooser” dialog is displayed, if the target filename already exists then a number (e.g., “(1)”) is automatically added to the end of the target filename. This allows you to ensure that you don’t unintentionally overwrite your existing TiddlyWiki file without some kind of user interaction. Of course, you can always select the existing filename if you DO want to overwrite it.

This interactive process also makes it easy to save temporary “checkpoint” files while you are working. For example, during a long editing session, if I suspect that something I just wrote might “brick” the running TiddlyWiki or otherwise corrupt my tiddler content, I will invoke the download saver and confirm the save with an auto-numbered filename like “myfile.html (1)”, “myfile.html (2)”, etc… This can even be triggered before I press the “done” button on the tiddler I am currently editing, so that there is no chance for my changes to break something. Then, once the current state of my TiddlyWiki is safely saved to disk, I’ll press “done” to accept the tiddler changes and then proceed to try my new code (usually by pressing a button widget to invoke some actions). If everything goes OK, I just continue working. However, if something goes horribly wrong, I can always re-load from my last saved checkpoint file, which still has the errant tiddler in “edit mode”, so I can hopefully fix my code and try again.

When I am finally satisfied that all my changes are good, I can then invoke the download saver again, but this time I select the existing TiddlyWiki file so that it is overwritten. I can then continue working, secure in the knowledge that everything is saved as I want it to be. When I am completely done with my work session, I will then go to my system’s file manager to select and delete all the “checkpoint” files. If I am being extra cautious, I can just move those files to another folder, so that if I later discover some previously unnoticed bug in my code (gasp!), I can load the old checkpoints one at a time to determine when the errant behavior first appeared, and then use a “diff” utility to compare versions and identify any suspect changes.

HOWEVER… having said all that…

Some people find the download saver process to be overly burdensome, and prefer a “file save” process that doesn’t require any interaction and always overwrites the current TiddlyWiki file. To this end, there are numerous add-ons that enable this kind of direct file saving. Some of these add-ons are browser-specific extensions, while others are separate “helper” applications that you can install on your system. See https://tiddlywiki.com/#GettingStarted and select the appropriate “OS” and “Browser” checkboxes for more details.

Hope this helps…

enjoy,
-e

1 Like

Welcome to the club :wink: !

I started using tiddlywiki maybe two hours ago. Its nice but is there any way to save the wiki without redownloading it?

You can download an empty wiki and then start it from your file-system. … Saving changes can be done in the way Eric described.

I don’t want to use any cloud. I want to encrypt it and push it to my github repo.

Just to be sure.

Be aware, that your repo can become huge, depending on how often you commit changes to it. … For an encrypted wiki, if you change 1 character, basically the whole wiki content will be encrypted and it will be different to the version before. …

Git ususally only saves text diffs to the repo. Since it is designed to be used with source code text, those diffs will be small most of the time.

If your content is encrypted it will be the full size of the whole content. Sice everything will be different if changed and encrypted.

Sorry if this question has been asked before.

No problem!