[tw5] An easier way to create a band of specific colors

I created some classes to created colored dots, so that I can list specific colors for a project. I call them colorways. An example :

Annotation 2021-11-30 112413.png

The issue is that coding them is a pita. For example, the code for the above is:

where

• cwd is a class that creates colorway dots
  • ylw (and red, wht, grn) is a class that makes the dot yellow
    Can anyone think of an easier way to do this?
1 Like

Oh, sorry - I forgot some details:

I just want to be able to ID colors as a visual example easily - they don’t have to be dots.
If I had my druthers, I’d love to have some sort of macro where I pass in something like “YYYYYRWG” and get the above or similar. Could a macro do that?

For sure a macro could do that. Give me a few minutes.

Okay. Just need to know what the meaty part should be. (i.e., what should be where the “<>” is?)

\define beDotted( likeThis )
<$list filter="[[$likeThis$]split[]]">
<>
</$list>
\end

<<beDotted “YYYYRRR”>>

If I’m understanding you right, I think currentTiddler is the right thing. As an example:

{{!!colorway}}

! The Title of the Thing and the Stuff

where colorway is the field with the long PITA spans.

Using your macro, it would just be

<<beDotted “YYYYRRR”>>

! The Title of the Thing and the Stuff

and I could get rid of the colorway field altogether

or maybe do something like this?

<<beDotted {{!!colors}}>>

Sample “meaty” part:

\define beDotted( likeThis )

<$list filter="[[$likeThis$]split[]] +[search-replace:i[y],[yellow]] +[search-replace:i[r],[red]]">
<$vars thisStyle={{{ [[min-height:25px;width:25px;background-color:]] [] [[;border-radius:50%;display:inlin-block;border:3px solid black;]] +[join[]] }}}>
<span style={{{ [] }}}>    
</$vars>
</$list>

\end

<<beDotted “YYYYRRR”>>

Any questions, please ask !

There are likely less verbose ways of going about this, by I rely on the verbosity to clearly let me know what is going on…

1 Like

If you had as standard the use of a “colorway” field in your tiddlers, then the macro doesn’t need any parameter.

Maybe something like this?

\define beDotted2( )

<$list filter="[{!!colorway}split[]] +[search-replace:i[y],[yellow]] +[search-replace:i[r],[red]]">
<$vars thisStyle={{{ [[min-height:25px;width:25px;background-color:]] [] [[;border-radius:50%;display:inlin-block;border:3px solid black;]] +[join[]] }}}>
<span style={{{ [] }}}>    
</$vars>
</$list>

\end

<>

You are awesome Charlie! Thanks!

Checking if I understand how this works:
basically, it just splits [the list | the field value] by each letter and replaces it with the “code” from my classes, right? So if there are 15 possible color-classes, I would just add as many of the “+[search-replace:i[r],[red]]” pieces as needed, such as +[search-replace:i[p],[ppl]]?

The thisStyle line is just the CSS for the dot shape etc, correct? (you almost EXACTLY guessed my formatting for the class - or maybe you inspected :slight_smile: )

And all together, it just recreates the span details i’m using now, on the fly, right?

Why the   between the span tags though?

And could the split be larger? Say 2 or 3 characters? (then I can use pk/pnk for pink instead of n because p is already taken by purple…)

And I hybrid, for the giggles:

\define beDotted3(likeThis)

<$list filter="[[$likeThis$]!is[blank]] [{!!colorway}] +[first[]] +[split[]] +[search-replace:i[y],[yellow]] +[search-replace:i[r],[red]]">
<span style={{{ [] }}}>    
</$vars>
</$list>

\end

So much awesomeness!

Okay, so I see now it’s not my classes, but regular html color names. If I want #478AE2, how do I specify that? For some reason, I think [#478AE2] isn’t right - or am I wrong?

And I tested and see that I was wrong and that works just fine.

I will investigate and see if I can do multi-char splits on my own.

Thanks again Charlie - really appreciate your expertise!

Answers intertwined with your post:

You are awesome Charlie! Thanks!

I usually aim for quirky and “somewhat entertaining”, but if I can come up with something awesome (for the moment, because there is often something else even more awesome around any corner): THANKS !

Checking if I understand how this works:
basically, it just splits [the list | the field value] by each letter and replaces it with the “code” from my classes, right? So if there are 15 possible color-classes, I would just add as many of the “+[search-replace:i[r],[red]]” pieces as needed, such as +[search-replace:i[p],[ppl]]?

Yupper, you got it. I think it is a pretty modular setup. Heck, if you wanted to specify some custom colors, you could put colour codes instead of colour names, like #FFFFFF.

We could probably simplify that with the help of a data tiddler. That could be a fun exercise.

The thisStyle line is just the CSS for the dot shape etc, correct? (you almost EXACTLY guessed my formatting for the class - or maybe you inspected :slight_smile: )

Nah, neither guess nor inspection. Total serendipity.

That CSS line is my typical way of dynamically putting together an inline style. It makes sense to me, but there may be other more popular ways of doing that.

And all together, it just recreates the span details i’m using now, on the fly, right?

Maybe. Hard for me to fathom the intertwingled breadth and depth of everything you might be thinking. Play with that wikitext with a few of your tiddlers, and see what you think. Anything I suggested here is highly tweakable.

Why the   between the span tags though?

A combo with nothing in between results in nothing. For the circle to happen, there has to be some text in there. I would type in spaces, but HTML automagically removes spaces unless they are specified with that special HTML code for space character. Play around with adding/removing those   entries.

And could the split be larger? Say 2 or 3 characters? (then I can use pk/pnk for pink instead of n because p is already taken by purple…)

If you want to use more than one character to identify colours, then you need a separator between each colour occurrence. Let’s say a semi-colon.

So your colour line would look something like pnk;pnk;pnk;yel;yel;yel (i.e. pink and yellow)

The split[] would need changing to split[;]

You got it. Well, I could be out to lunch. Proof is always in the pudding.

Everything worked on Tiddlywiki, but on my wiki, after my tweaks, no good/no bueno/dim da (that last one is Welsh)

My tweaks to the code:

\define lfdots

<$list filter="[{!!colors}split[,]]
+[search-replace:i[abr],[gold]]
+[search-replace:i[bgn],[teal]]
+[search-replace:i[blk],[black]]
+[search-replace:i[blu],[blue]]
+[search-replace:i[brn],[brown]]
+[search-replace:i[cyn],[cyan]]
+[search-replace:i[grn],[limegreen]]
+[search-replace:i[gry],[gray]]
+[search-replace:i[mag],[magenta]]
+[search-replace:i[org],[orange]]
+[search-replace:i[ppl],[purple]]
+[search-replace:i[rbn],[sienna]]
+[search-replace:i[red],[red]]
+[search-replace:i[tny],[burlywood]]
+[search-replace:i[wht],[white]]
+[search-replace:i[ygn],[yellowgreen]]
+[search-replace:i[yel],[yellow]]
+[search-replace:i[pnk],[pink]]
+[search-replace:i[lbl],[skyblue]]
">

<$vars thisStyle={{{ [[min-height:20px;width:20px;background-color:]] [] [[;border-radius:50%;display:inline-block;border:3px solid black;]] +[join[]] }}}>
<span style={{{ [] }}}> 

</$vars>

</$list>
\end

• number of   doesn’t seem to matter as long as there’s one - on tiddlywiki.com
  • I realize that if I use a delimiter in the split, I can have different length parameters, and therefore dont need abbreviations or the search-replace commands; I’m using them at the moment for habit’s sake
    So when I create the macro definition tiddler, when I saved it before, it looked empty, but now it looks like this:

and the test tid, with the text <> (lfdots for large field dots, as opposed to sddots = small defined dots) looks like this:

So what did I do wrong? I’ve been over and over for typos, but not seeing it.

oh, and it works fine on tiddlywiki.com with my tweaks (except that the dots are in a column not a row as before)

And I see I left out the () after the definition - but still no difference

Sniffs like TiddlyWiki version difference.

What value does this (put that in a new tiddler) give you in your TiddlyWiki:

{{{ [] }}}

Oh, column vs row.

Although the blank lines make your work more readable, I’m thinking one of those is causing a carriage return.

And your macro is missing parentheses:

\define lfdots**()**

Otherwise, very cool.

I’m using 5.2.0 - and that’s what the transclusion above returned too.

I thought the tids might help

test.tid (225 Bytes)

lddots Macro.tid (1.04 KB)

And… Here’s a shot of what it looks like on TW. When I was testing at work this afternoon, the circles were less oval, and in a row.

1 Like