Translude a filed containing a transclusion , through conditionnal filter

I am not really sure how to describe my question, here is what I try:

I have a different tiddlers, some with field caption containing text, some with field caption containing transcluded value from another tiddler (eg: {{$:/language/caption}}), some without field caption.

I’d like to list them using $list widget and link to them showing caption value if exists or title if not.

I tried this :

<$list filter="[tag[ConditionnalFilter]]">
  <$link to=<<currentTiddler>>>
    <$text text={{{ [all[current]get[caption]else{!!title}] }}}/>
  </$link><br>
</$list>

but when the caption field contains a transcluded value, the link being rendered is literal field value {{$:/language/caption}} and not the content of this transclusion.

I’ve found a workaround using two filters :

<$list filter="[all[current]has[caption]]">{{!!caption}}</$list>
    <$list filter="[all[current]!has[caption]]"/>
  </$link><br>
</$list>

I’d like to be sure that there isn’t a prettiest way to do this, or something I’ve missed.

Here is a wiki for demo

Instead of

<$list filter="[all[current]has[caption]]">{{!!caption}}</$list>
<$list filter="[all[current]!has[caption]]"/>

you can use

<$transclude field={{{ [<currentTiddler>has[caption]then[caption]else[title]] }}}/>

enjoy,
-e

2 Likes

Just a slightly more elegant way possible with the new conditional syntax in v5.3.3 would be:

<% if [all[current]has[caption]] %>
      {{!!caption}}
    <% else %>
      {{!!title}}
    <% endif %>
  </$link><br>
</$list>

Edit: of course Eric’s solution above is much better and more concise.

Good point @vilc. Of note for @hrOArdan is both your solutions transclude the caption field resulting in it being interpreted as wiki text.

@hrOArdan you may be supprised but your can transclude something that transcludes something that tra…

I knew I would get useful knowledge from this, thank all of you !

@vilc this approach in nice because as it transcludes the caption field and as a result wikifies it but all using a short syntax.

However, here I make it more compact, simplify its name, generalise it and add a feature.

\procedure caption(indicator:"Ⓒ") <% if [all[current]has[caption]] %>{{!!caption}}^^<<indicator>>^^<% else %>{{!!title}}<% endif %>
  • In a tiddler tagged $:/tags/Global

Using it;

<$link><<caption>></$link><br>
</$list>
  • compact - single line procedure
  • lets call it caption, we all know if its not available it uses title
  • make it a global macro, define once use multiple times with simply <<caption>>
  • But default it indicates its a caption “Examples” however this can be changed or hidden with <<caption " ">>
1 Like