Tidgraph plugin: is it possible to define the parent-child relationship via tag-based filter?

I would like to define a simple two-level hierarchy parent → child by defining a child using the presence of a certain tag.

I have tried:

<$tidgraph start="ParentTiddler" filter="[tag[foo]]"/>

hoping to get a ParentTiddler -> ChildTiddler graph, where ChildTiddler has a “foo” tag but it did not work. A few questions:

1. Am I doing it wrong?
  2. Is it possible at all?
  3. If it’s possible, can I use more complex filters, like [tag[foo]] +[tag[bar]] ?

I am trying to make tidgraph display lists like <<list-links filter:"[tag[foo]]">> as tree.

Thank you

Your example would work if the child tiddlers are tagged with the “ParentTiddler” and “foo”.

Believe it has to do with the tagging and linking default mode.

I want to avoid exactly the situation when I have to explicitly tag child tiddlers with the name of parent tiddlers.

What is the use case? People? If not you can create a custom parent field that contains the list titles of the parents. I have written a genealogy solution. I use father and mother list fields to define relationships.

Welcome @vaultkeeper1337

The New here button already creates child tiddlers tags with the current tiddler and the Table of contents (TOC) macros use this method so it you are OK with that it may be the best approach, however you express a desire not to do that.

• Also I am not a Tidgraph user so not sure about appropriate integration

Wikilabs TOCP macros may be a useful alternative where it stores the relationship in fields not tags. Comes with a set of toc macros.

Of course depending on your tiddlywiki experience this can all be built yourself

My use case is I’m trying to find out if I can replicate the behavior of tw-filter edge type of TiddlyMap. There I don’t need to explicitly tag each child tiddler with the name of the parent tiddler. I don’t need to explicitly enumerate all children in a list, in the parent tiddler, like you’re suggesting. There I can only have a field with a tag-based filter in the parent tiddler, and all tiddlers that match the filter are considered children and linked via edges.

This could be implemented as an update to tidgraph, and something similar in many different solutions, by treating fields as containing a filter, rather than a tiddler title, or list. Rather than reference {{!!fieldname}} or [{!!fieldname}] you use [subfilter{!!fieldname}] and it still works for single tiddler titles, but also for lists of titles and filters.