TiddlyWikiLinks Development Questions

(Draft 2 – Discourse tossed my first draft)

So I thought I’d take a look at the TiddlywikLinks development kit. I forked, cloned, and built the project.

When running the server:

npm run serve

it ran, but when I navigated to the web page, it threw a 404 error.

Then I ran

npm run build

After that, I could run the server. BUT, it only showed the output for 3 contributors. Since many of the issues centered around the organization of large numbers of tiddlers, I would like to see how it works with a larger work set.

Questions

How do I get it to retrieve the entire url collection?

How do I work on the project itself? Is there a backdoor? All the standard access to tiddlers is missing. Is there a way to turn it on, or do we do all the work in a code editor outside of the node event?

Thanks!

I did:

npm install
npm update
npm start   ... which does a npm run build && npm run serve

Since I’m on windows this fails, because of clean.sh, which is a bash command, I needed to do

npm run collect-links 
npm run build-dist
npm run serve

This worked and it collects all the data from all the listed sites.

-mario

I had run “npm update”, just losing my work broke my concentration.

I can see now what the problem is. The site list only has 3 entries. I’m perplexed how this would happen, if I followed all the steps. Certainly I didn’t go in and edit out 10 sites! It must be somehow reverting back to an earlier branch or earlier commit … but why?

Edit:

Ok, so when I contributed last time it must have made a fork that I forgot about because I just edited directly, not via command line. GH only shows you a handful of your repositories in the default view so if you don’t remember what you did 5 months ago, you won’t be reminded.

I’ll start over.

Thanks!

Ok, moving along. Is it possible that there is some code that didn’t make it into the distribution?
Here’s what tags look like on my system. The tag counts are appended to the tag names. I’m guessing that some stylesheet is missing.

Guess I’ll do a complete do-over of the clone-install-build incantation.

I did git clone about an hour ago. So I’m sure I got the latest version. It may be a problem with git pull …

Which software do you use to edit the repo? I’m using VSCode

Started over. Ran fine, but only after npm start . The command

npm run serve

Does not build the app locally and you’ll get a 404 error.

I was surprised how quickly the process picked up links. The long part of the processing appears to be building the indexes.

So far everything with git in the command line.

So here’s what I’m thinking of trying. I’m always in favor of the doable, rather than the pie-in-the-sky imagineable.

Change “Topics” to “Tags”, since that is what they really are. Add a page between “Tags” (formerly “Topics”) and “Contributors” called either “Topics” or “Categories”. The new categories pages would use either a series of accordions or accordion TOC structures to allow users to browse categories without being swamped. The new page would be built by a series of commands like:

<<category "Business">>
<<category "Productivity">>
etc.

These categories in turn would build upon the existing tags. Each existing tag would have it’s own tag, like $:/cat_Business. This tag would not appear in the tag list, of course. The categories would obviously have to be assigned by hand, probably while looking over the shoulder at Dave’s tiddlymap. It would not happen overnight, but as opportunity presented itself.

So that’s my thinking, with barely a glance at the code :wink: I’m thinking it’s doable, since the parts involved would not necessarily involve javascript. Or would they? So, would this be a horrible approach? Break things? Be insufficient? Overreach?

Thanks!

Ahh, OK … Then you don’t have too much overview. … On my unix machine I use some shell extensions, that show the active git branch I’m in. …

I think VSCode with some plugins like: GitExtensionPack, WorkspaceSidebar and TiddlyWiki code highlighting is a very good combination to work with the TW repo.

GitExtensionPack gives me a nice overview about all the remote repos I’m connected with, down to the commit level and diffs.

The WorkspaceSidebar lets me combine independent “git repo folders” into 1 tree-view. It’s super convenient if you don’t have to change the directory or the workspace all the time

I’m managing all my contributions to TW with VSCode since several months now…

I have used VSCode, but I do feel like there’s a learning curve with ordinary things I would otherwise know instinctively how to use. So I find myself pulling up Vim.

But for this app, is there any way to edit it as a TiddlyWiki file? It would obviously be much more convenient to edit without having to restart the server. Or do you have a tool to auto restart it for you?

Thanks!

That’s a documentation error in the readme, I’ve committed a fix.

That’s exactly the approach I’ve been thinking of: to manually curate a set of meta-tags that correspond to the actual tags applied by the authors. I’d been thinking of doing it at ingestion time, applying a simple mapping table to the tags of incoming links.

It’s not set up at present, but it should be possible to run the app in client-server mode.

You can also use the pre-built wiki at links.tiddlywiki.com — TiddlyWiki community links to try out quick experiments.

This wiki is also built locally, in the dist folder