TiddlyWiki on Node.js on a Synology NAS

Of limited interest but you never know: bash scripts and configuration as part of a git submodule to keep TiddlyWiki on Node.js running on a Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage) device: TiddlyWiki on a Synology NAS

The NAS runs all the time in my house anyway, backing up various devices and providing storage space. When I realized that what I had been doing for a long time on macOS laptops – with git repos and TiddlyWiki on Node.js – would work just as well on the version of Linux the NAS runs, that opened up possibilities to

1. access the TiddlyWiki-based notes from any device on our local network that had a browser: laptop, phone, tablet;
  2. automate the nightly git commit and push should I mess up, as well as backing up an archive of the content offsite should disaster strike; and
  3. arrange for everything to re-start automatically on the rare occasions when the NAS reboots.

One of the reasons I keep all my notes in TiddlyWiki is for the “hit by a bus” scenario: I hope this scheme makes it more likely that one day someone in my household who is trying to pick up the pieces when I am not around will have an easier time of that.

Keeping the NAS’s installed software footprint minimal being one of my goals; the README describes the few packages and the specific extra commands they contain that the scripts require and for TiddlyWiki on Node.js itself.

Possibly useful If you’ve got similar use cases.

4 Likes

Hi,
I have also a Synology NAS.
Unfortunately my NAS has no Docker due to the fact that it is no Infineon plattform.
I tried to run tiddlywiki on Node.js on my Synology but I failed always.
If you was able to install tw without docker I Avery interested how you did it.

Stefan

As the README’s installation instructions says in step 1 “I used the Synology GUI to install the Node.js package.” However, I am not sure if all of Synology’s NAS products and operating systems provide the same packages, so maybe that’s a stumbling block I wasn’t aware of.

I do not use Docker on my NAS - that would be extra overhead that would, I suspect, degrade performance for what I view as its primary job of maintaining backups and storage; as well as increasing the software footprint (within those containers.)

Hi @jwd
If your NAS is running debian compatible OS.
I can show/help you how to use node.js TW with IPFS…

This will achieve your 3 goals + allow you to store muttimedia and never loose any of it (as each ipfs gateway will keep cache for it)…
Example : contact@madeinzion.org — ♥BOX — Astroport.ONE