TiddlyWiki is too much fun?

If tiddlywiki is fun tell us why?

Ok, seperate from the discussions that observe the dangers of tinkering with tiddlywiki when you should be doing something else, yes this is an issue.

I will reply but I dont want to predjedice anyone elses answers.

In my understanding, TiddlyWiki gives me a way to process data differently from a relational database. The information that TW could handle does not strictly abide by the normal form. That’s very useful since the situations in the real world are not expressed and organized in such a normal form.

I hope it could be used as a utility to describe ontologies, in particular, the relationship between some relative ontologies.

I guess it is fun when we possess a tool to help us to understand the world.

1 Like

It has all the of feeling like real work, but by virtue of making your information / thoughts more organized, this saves you the trouble of having to think.

2 Likes

It gives me the same feeling as a fun assignment at work or school from a teacher or boss I enjoy learning from.

Always something that’s the right level of challenging, rewarding, and reusable.

2 Likes

I appreciate hearing your ideas, why do I think

TiddlyWiki is too much fun?

To me it is a great platform for experimenting, building and yes tinkering. It allows me to explore ideas, hacks and algorithms of almost any type. It allows me to stretch my brain and undertake intellectual ideas including integrating old fundamentals or playing with the bleeding edge or innovation.

• All this even before using it for practical outcomes.

One thing I love, and have fun with, but does not seem to work in practice, is I find and develop lots of innovative ways to use tiddlywiki, and get really excited when I think everyone is going to love it, and then I just get a lukewarm reception, especially annoying after I go to great efforts to share the idea. But I maintain a dream that my brilliance will be recognised when I am still alive :nerd_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (Mind you I do subscribe to the Bhuddist approach not to desire recognition).

• to me many of these ideas deserve inclusion in the core or a standard edition but I am weary of trying to argue this.

For example I am currently in a “flight of fancy” over my most recent discovery of a “code pattern” allowing bespoke customisation of any tiddler through a set of optional fields including toolbars, subtitle, info panel, view template and more. I am really excited (for myself) but I doubt many others will see its value.

It’s alright Tones, I think your creations are brilliant, and I firmly believe many others do as well :grin:

Let me add … while taking important notes at the same time, knowing they will be safe and accessible for the forseeable future.

I also feel with you regarding many other emotions you have, Tones, joyful or not so.

Some time ago I had some fun coming up with playful new product names and slogans that eventually could become useful for TW6 or so, if a renaming should be considered at that time.

And I just found out: Thatʼs still funny. Hereʼs a new one.

GoCards – Drive your notes safely while changing wheels and gearbox.

More: https://bitsnpieces.glitch.me/

Cheers and have a great time,
Thomas

3 Likes

@telmiger — I too often find myself brainstorming different metaphors for the tiddler, and I sometimes replace “tiddler” in a public-facing project with a word that seems like a good idea to me at the time. :wink:

To the table as currently found on your site, I would add three rows (at bottom below, starting with “node”):

tiddler list, transclusion, story, wiki original TW terms
card set, hand, stack, collection, deck, game playful, rules apply
atom molecule, matter, substance, material, thing (?) physical
fiber strand, twine, rope, knot, fabric, web weaving
proton ion, medium, current, battery same for electron
drop water, current, river, lake, sea fluid
piece puzzle, image
brick wall, room, house, quarter, town building
cell tissue, bone, organ, limb, brain, body alive
plankton fish, shark, fisher food chain
note chord, tune, song, album, concert music
note paragraph, text, chapter, article, book editor
node set, ray or target, path, bundle mapping
record stack, frame, set, archive database
facet aspect, enfolding, montage, origami 3D topography
(tid)bit (tid)byte, meta-(tid)bit or bitten-bit, (tid)batch, (tid)boat data
:arrow_up: bonus:
animation=(tid)beat
input area=(tid)bait
loading process=(tid)boot
subfilter=(tid)but
favorite wiki=(tid)beaut
runaway AI TiddlyWiki project=(tid)bot
RSOD=(tid)botch
1 Like

That is a big part of the fun of tiddlywiki that is so much fun, the many things a tiddler can be. In some ways I think it is a good reason to continuing to call it a tiddler because by not committing it to one of these meanings, it can have any of these meanings.

To me it is quite profound how a tiddler is a “record” in file and database terms that, can be, be related to, or part of, any number of tables, lists or sets.

Yet a single tiddler can always be its own thing, sitting at eye level and mean almost anything to us.

But even such a versatile thing as a tiddler has secrets waiting to be discovered. Consider for example a link to a non existing tiddler, a missing tiddler is still content, it can be a tag, a value in text or a field and have relationships with other tiddlers even before it exists.

Even before a tiddler exists, it can be found. Even defined, by its relationships and context.

Mind blowing

1 Like