TiddlyWiki in Firefox saving incremental versions instead of overwriting

I’m using TiddlyWiki 5.2.2 in Firefox 100.0.2 on Windows 10. Whenever I hit the save button, Firefox is saving incremental versions of my Wiki file, instead of overwriting the old one. For example, my wiki is named mywiki.html and now the folder contains mywiki(1).html, mywiki(2).html, etc. How can I fix this?

Welcome katgamer!

That’s the default behaviour out of the box, using what is sometimes called the default download saver mechanism or fallback saver.

There are multiple approaches to making the situation more harmonious. One is that you can go into your firefox settings and tell it to ask you for a name every time it saves. On mine it’s under Settings, General, (scroll to) Downloads. Then when it saves, you will have the option to find and over-write your existing file.

That said, you might find it more convenient to install Timimi. Timimi has two parts: A file extension and an executable you set up once on your hard drive. Once you have it working, you just save by clicking “Save” the way you would any other application.

There are some 20 different ways to save your TW file, so if one approach doesn’t work, some other might. Let us know how it goes!

Thank you, that first solution seems to have fixed it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, hold that thought. That did not fix it. Instead now it’s not saving changes at all. I made several changes to my Wiki and then once I reloaded it, all those new changes were gone. :sweat:

Are you certain that you saved to the same folder that contained the previously saved version?

Yes.

I’ve installed Timimi now and I think I have finally fixed it.