TiddlyWiki.com core, Documentation and more - maintaining the differences

Folks,
Having started a project here Prototype: Learn TiddlyWiki student notes edition I am keen to establish a way to use a copy of tiddlywiki.com with additional code and user annotations but periodically update the underlying wiki.

To do this I want to find a way to separate the content delivered on top of Tiddlywiki.com from the empty equivalent,

• such as the documentation but also from
  • a set of additional installed tools,
  • Additional community documentation
  • and a users annotations.

That is I need a programmatic way of keeping the ability to separate these sets of tiddlers on a living wiki so updates to the core and Documentation can be applied.

• The best way I can see so far is to rigorously set different user names for tiddlers in the following sets;
    • a set of additional installed tools, learning-tools
    • Additional community documentation, learning-docs
    • and a users annotations, user-notes
  • These can then be managed as separate packages of tiddlers that can be applied to an updated copy of tiddlywiki.com

What do you think?

1 Like

I agree with this idea.
In this regard, I also encountered some other small difficulties, such as:
Some TW core entries do not have creation date and modification date fields,
Introduced documentation macros (such as ‘’.tip’’) are not included in the empty WIKI for users to download…
Hopefully the official entry will be more rigorous and clearly categorized.

Are available by installing the relavant macros see
{{{ [all[shadows+tiddlers]prefix[$:/editions/tw5.com]] }}} butr I am not sure this is everything.

• Of course my above Prototype includes these as its based on tiddlywiki.com

There has been a discussion at GitHub, that the documentation macros should be a core plugin.

The documentation as a whole already is a plugin and can be installed using the standard core plugin mechanism

If you would use that plugin IMO it would make your idea much easier to handle.

Since the docs is a plugin, all the tiddlers will be shadow tiddlers. So it should be easy to identify user modified content using a filter: [is[tiddler]is[shadow]sort[title]]

The core also contains a preview function, that lets you see the differences between a tiddler and a shadow tiddler. In edit-mode the preview option “difference from shadow (if any)” can be used.

So instead of inventing the wheel again and again IMO it would make sense to participate in improving the existing documentation.

1 Like