Tiddlyweb plugin

I’m looking at the description for tiddlyweb, and it’s confusing me:

This plugin runs in the browser to synchronise tiddler changes to and from a TiddlyWeb-compatible server (including TiddlyWiki 5 itself, running on Node.js). It is inert when run under Node.js.

So, does this plugin only run on a local HTML copy of TiddlyWiki and help keep it in sync with a copy running on node.js or TiddlyWeb?

Does this mean I can setup TiddlyWiki on node.js and then have local copies on all my devices, and sync them all against the node.js copy to keep them all the same?

Is there any documentation for setting up this plugin?

It does look like a mostly-dead project. Unless Miracle Max (*) comes along to help revive it, I’m not sure you’ll be able to get very much support for it. After a quick search, the newest change is 9 months old and the newest documentation seems to be about 6 years old.

Hi @apastuszak

TiddlyWeb was a Python-based serverside for TiddlyWiki that is no longer under active development. TiddlyWiki 5’s HTTP API is compatible with the TiddlyWeb API, which is why we still use the term.

Yes that’s strictly correct, but the wrinkle is that the instance of TW that runs in the browser must be served by the same server.

No, it doesn’t currently support automatic syncing back to a Node.js server from a “freestanding” single file TiddlyWiki.

In that situation it’s usually simpler to do something like:

1. Set up the Node.js instance as usual. When you expect to work on a wiki offline, use the “Download offline snapshot” menu to download a completely standalone snapshot of the wiki
  2. Work on the offline snapshot using TiddlyWiki’s usual single file saving techniques
  3. When coming back online, import the offline HTML into the Node.js wiki instance by drag and drop; there’s a convenient interface for reviewing which tiddlers have changed

To clarify, the TiddlyWeb project may be dead, but the TiddlyWeb plugin is an intrinsic part TW5’s client server architecture and is very much not dead.