TiddlyTools Saver - don't understand <<reset_config>>

There’s one point in TiddlyTools Saver that I don’t understand. The TiddlyTools/SaveChanges tiddler states:

“If you have defined a global macro named <<reset_config>> (in a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/Macro), it is invoked just prior to saving the file (unless ctrl-click is used). This lets you automatically restore any changed settings you want, so those default “startup” settings will be saved in the file. See TiddlyTools/Reset and TiddlyTools/Panels/Reset for examples. The TiddlyWiki file is then saved locally or uploaded to your chosen online hosting service, based on the currently selected Saver Settings. If you have configured the Saver Settings to upload to a Git-based online service, the first line of your notes will also be used as the commit message that is posted online.”

In practical terms, I started by a drag and drop of the two Saver program tiddlers in order to install them in my TiddlyWiki file. I see on the sidebar the AutoSaver and I may use it accordingly. But where is the global macro and how do I invoke it? Do I have to download-import the two tiddlers mentioned above? Please note that I don’t use (don’t know how to use) the top toolbar.

By default, neither add-on (TiddlyTools/SaveChanges and TiddlyTools/Time/AutoSaver) defines the <<reset_config>> macro.

Importing TiddlyTools/Reset adds a global macro definition for <<reset_config>> that will restore certain common settings to typical default “startup” conditions. You can modify the definition in TiddlyTools/Reset to set whatever default tiddler values you desire.

TiddlyTools/Panels/Reset contains additional actions that are only needed if you have installed any of the TiddlyTools/Panels/* tiddlers.

In general, you will never need to actually invoke <<reset_config>> yourself. Rather, this macro is automatically invoked by the processing in TiddlyTools/SaveChanges, so that when you use TiddlyTools/SaveChanges to save your TiddlyWiki, the actions contained in the <<reset_config>> macro are performed just before saving the file.

Note also that TiddlyTools/Time/AutoSaver never invokes <<reset_config>>, even if it is defined. This ensures that when a timer-based “autosave” action is triggered, the entire current state of your TiddlyWiki is preserved.

1 Like

Thank you very much. It’s clearer now to me.