TiddlySpot to TiddlyHost

I have an old Tiddlyspot wiki that I’d like to convert or move to Tiddlywiki. I can download the inedx.html from Tiddlyspot but have not found if I can upload it to Tiddlywiki. Any ideas?

Neither https://TiddlyWiki.com nor https://TiddlyWiki.org provide public hosting services for TiddlyWiki files.

Perhaps you meant https://tiddlyhost.com which is the successor to https://tiddlyspot.com

Uh, ya, sorry. I was eyeballs deep with a million tabs open. I have an old tiddlyspot.com wiki and I’d like to convert it to the new tiddlyhost.com site. My alternative was to copy & paste but there are formatting differences and I’d go nuts doing that.

Create yourself a tiddlyhost account and then you can ‘claim’ your tiddlyspot and there it is.

I have a tiddlyhost account I want to use. How do I get my old tiddlyspot data to tiddlyhost?

If you create a new Tiddlyhost site, then click the “Upload” option under the Actions menu at the sites page, you can upload a TiddlyWiki file that will entirely replace the site’s content.

So if you’re able to first download your old Tiddlyspot site, (adding ‘/download’ to its url should work), you can try using that to upload your old Tiddlyspot site content to the new Tiddlyhost site.

However, there might be more to it, especially if your Tiddlyspot site is an old “Classic” version TiddlyWiki. It might be that you need to remove the old UploadPlugin, but I’m not sure. If you do have problems let me know and I’ll help you figure it out.

Ps, I’d like to encourage everyone to do this actually, so maybe in future there will be a “migrate tiddlyspot to tiddlyhost” feature. (It might even be possible to do that and keep the original domain name, but I’m getting off topic.)

There’s probably another way to do it by importing tiddlers from the old site to a brand new one, but I’m not sure how to do it and I don’t know how well it would work.

How did I not originally see the “upload” before? Anyways, thanks. I uploaded the old tiddlyspot code into tiddlyhost - and it kept the real old version (2008!) I had on tiddlyspot. That is, it does not look anything like the 5.2.2 version sites I have now, it has the old 2008-version look.

I don’t know what version it is but in tiddlyhost " Your sites" both Kind & Version are blank.

Okay, so I guess your goal is to migrate the tiddler content, but not the entire TiddlyWiki. That would probably require an import of some kind.

I’m not sure if (new) TiddlyWiki can import tiddlers from old versions of TiddlyWiki Classic. It might depend on how old your old TiddlyWiki is.

Actually I think it can, and it even offers to convert the markup for you.

Here’s a rough guide:

• Create a brand new site in Tiddlyhost and open it up
  • Click “Tools”, then “import”
  • Find and select the downloaded copy of your old site
  • Review the list of tiddlers found and hit the “Import” button
  • Save

I was hoping just the content, but the whole thing was uploaded. I’m ok with that, as I’d like to maintain and update it. I cannot update on tiddlyspot, although I did see various methods to do so, I had limited success over the past few years. I like the ease of recording my notes in this wiki and look forward to updating my old ones that I still refer to.

See above - using TiddlyWiki’s own built in import functionality will work nicely I think.

If your tiddlywiki is a version 5.x.x It would be wise to take a local copy and upgrade it and check it is working well and then “upload”. Its is a good practice to keep software up to date, but not essential with tiddlywiki. Upgrade is well worth it if you do make changes and enhancements but if it is “archival in nature” less so, although the greater the gap between the version and the latest version the more chance of issues.

If your wiki is 2.x and you want to continue adding to and updating the wiki I would suggest get an archival copy up and consider starting a new wiki with the latest version and gradually migrate functionality into the new wiki. The main thing to migrate is content, not macros and functional operations.

Yes, that is what I have decided. I’ve v2.6.1. T
he more used wikis I will slowly migrate/edit/change into 5.2.2 and leave the other ones alone.
Thanks all for input.

1 Like

Remember to ask the community as you learn TW5.x.x as its quite a jump from TW2.x