TiddlySpot Saver keeps trying to save with all fields blank

Even when all fields in the TiddlySpot/Host saver are blank, the saver keeps trying to save back to TiddlySpot/Host. This means you can’t save a local copy of a file from TiddlyHost.

Bug?

Try adding /download to your TiddlyHost URL

Thanks! That’s good to know, but it’s not published anywhere. The old behaviour was that if the fields were blank, it would move on to the next available saver. That’s what one would expect to happen. Perhaps the expectation is that you can go to your dashboard and do the download, BUT in this case it’s not my file and not my dashboard!

If you want a “Download” button separate from the “Save” button, see the example at Download button demo.

Edit: I guess this not helpful if it’s not your file…

Edit: Actually it is…? If you can create a tiddler and paste in the following button code, you can then click it:

<$button class="tc-btn-invisible">
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-download-file"/>
{{$:/core/images/download-button}}
</$button>

But, does this mean that none of the fields in the tiddlyspot saver do anything anymore?

It depends on whether you’re using the newer “put” saver or the older “upload” saver. If you are using the “put” saver, then none of those fields are relevant. For newer TiddlyWikis on Tiddlyhost this is the default saving method, so it’s quite possible you are using the put saver.

See this information about the two different save methods.

If you are using the “upload” saver, also known as the “TiddlySpot saver”, then removing server URL will cause TiddlyWiki’s save button to fall back to a download save, which is what you’re expecting IIUC. See here for details about the fields used.

FWIW, I see this as a quirk rather than a solid feature. Having a download button distinct from the save button seems like a better way to allow TiddlyWiki to do a “download file” save when there is another save method available.

2 Likes

I have a button as a bookmarklet that adds a download button to override the default saver in cases such as tiddlyhost, or even Timimi. It is effectively the download button mentioned previously.

The following package contains the bookmarklet as a tiddler, install in any wiki, even a temporary one such as tiddlywiki.com and drag it to you bookmarklets, click to add the download button when needed.

Download wiki with changes.json (3.4 KB)

However with my own tiddlyhost wikis I go to the “Home” and use the download button there in the actions column.

FYI I made a more serious version of the download button and added it to MPTW5. See it here. This one plays nicely with the other buttons in the “tools” tab.