TiddlyHost: opening and saving wikis noticeably slow

It’s a qualified guess that also Simon has his links-site on TH. Do you happen to know where the other three missing ones are hosting their sites? Of the people still listed as contributors, I do note two (Jeremy and clutterstack) that use a TH site for link sharing.

Another thing; the topics have decreased from 375 two weeks ago to only 258 now. Either heavy pruning has been done or something is not fetched in the same way, it seems.

Ok, I think it’s the other way around. You’re not seeing your links contributions because you’re on tiddlyhost and tiddlyhost is timing out.

Oh! You’re back.

So every hour, when the polling happens, you and the other TH users may or may not be polled.

TiddlyWiki links is rebuilt every 17 minutes. There are 8 URLs from TiddlyHost that are fetched once every 17 minutes. I therefore strongly doubt that Links is causing any performance problems for TiddlyHost. Do note that I do not maintain Links, it is a community project and maintained in much the same manner as the TiddlyWiki core.

OK, red herring about links.

Hupp! Indeed! And so are the 300+ links!

I got the 1 hour from your GH post two weeks ago. I remembered it as something like 20 minutes, but also remembered there was discussion of extending the time.

It’s the other way around – problems with TH are causing contributions to appear and disappear from the collection.

1 Like

me too, a few minutes ago this morning :cry:

While people at the moment are (understandably) posting crying emojis etc, I think it is appropriate to clarify a thing to avoid misunderstandings:

Tiddlyhost is the fricking best thing since sliced bread. It (and it’s predecessor TiddlySpot) is a cornerstone in our community. Hooray for is creator and maintainer: @simon - you kick a**!

:grin:

2 Likes

Just got another 504 Gateway Time-out.

I have no idea how many of the posts in this discussion are related to my OP. Maybe somebody could add a little explainer?

The connection is something like this: having a script to download a set of tiddlyhost projects is one helpful tool in mitigating the dangers of tiddlyhost down-time/unpredictability.

Perhaps the backup-download-script conversation would be better in another thread, but it has certainly all been a conversation among folks who depend on TiddlyHost, who are curious about what affects its reliability, and who want to both support TiddlyHost and have some prudent habits/tools available just in case.

Yeah, it would have been nice for that to be in a different thread.

It is hard for me to find out in this thread I started if the cause of the recent performance issues has been identified, and whether or not the problem has been resolved.

Indeed! My sense is that some factors were tracked down and addressed by Simon, and that the performance is since then generally much better, but some of us are still finding occasional unresponsiveness — not overwhelming, but more than before this recent trouble started.

Is there a way to tell if the file is saving? I see the “Starting to save wiki” pop up but I don’t know if anything is happening. I am watching the screen for about 10 minutes or so and I don’t know whether it’s still working or I should click the save button again.

You can check out the .../sites overview of all your wikis where it states how long ago the save was made. But I would definitely try again after significantly less than 10 minutes. More like 1 minute or less.

These few past days I don’t think I’ve had any saving problems though. The usual ~10 seconds or less.

@medley That seems like some other problem. If you’d like to send some more details via email (see Support), perhaps we can figure out what’s going wrong.

Opening TiddlyHost and sites on it are at its normal snappy speed for me, but I’ve had persistent slowness still while saving. It takes at least several minutes (I haven’t timed it specifically, but it feels around 3-5 minutes).

Thanks for the report @MaxDimo . That’s unexpected. I will do some more investigation.

1 Like

I’m still having intermittent no-rhyme-no-reason (noticeably, sometimes painfully) slow load and save performance, very noticeable today, not quite as noticeable the last 3 or 4 days.

I’ve also had some serious save slowdowns over the last two days. No issues with loading.

1 Like